Chapter 2: Eclipse

Levi's POV

I've been studying that moon of hers for centuries... and I see now... with all the research I've gathered, I think I can finally meet her. After all, I only have a week to see her during this time. The eclipse of the moon... the shadows would conquer her moon for a week. She would remain weak... but I would care for her... at least, I love her...

I've seen her on that moon, lonesome... and I kept falling for her beauty for every night for centuries.

"Sir..." I turned to see my shadow servant, waiting behind me as I watched the sun fall and the moon slowly rising to her glory. "We have everything prepared. Although... it seems dangerous."

"Dangerous? What is?" My voice turned cold as I gained answers. "Answer me!"

He shrunk down, "Forgive me, my lord... but some of us... we're afraid of keeping the goddess of the moon here. We know this is not our place... but what if she lashes out and start killing us with her moonlight? We're welcoming her into your realm of darkness... wouldn't she be afraid?"

I turned back to the moon, seeing her sad, sunken face. Oh, how I longed to touch her fair skin... how could anyone so opposite love such a goddess like her? "But she would be powerless. Even her sister cannot do anything. When the planets align over her light... she would fall. And... I will catch her."

"But sir... wouldn't she be afraid?"

"I will welcome her with open arms... and besides, she would need protection from the other shadows. I know I control some of them... but there are those rouge ones who would attempt to harness her moonlight power. I won't hurt her... I will gain her trust... I will protect her. Trust me on this, Erwin."

He nods, "I understand... I'll try to calm everyone else then."

Waving him goodbye, I gazed back to the moon. I couldn't wait for her to fall, so I can catch the fair maiden who stayed alone for too long. Whatever I said to Erwin, I meant it with my true heart. I don't care that people says we are heartless creatures, just because we're darkness, I had feelings for that maiden.

*   *   *

Hanji's POV

Once more, everything felt the same. The moon rose as it usually does when the sun goes down. But this time... deep within my heart, I felt like there was something wrong... something unusual was gonna happen. Like the core of my heart felt like it was fading...

But I rose... but for a few seconds, I saw how darkness was corrupting my beautiful moon. Gasping, I tried to escape the darkness growing on my moon... and that's when I felt it. Nothing... nothing was under my feet. The moon completely disappeared and I plummeted down to the ground. I screamed as I fell... not knowing what was happening.

"Help!" My voice rung out to the silence as I felt the darkness crawling over my skin. I felt it grip tightly around my arms and body... pulling me ever so closer to the ground. 

Was it... my time to go? Was I destined to die? No... there must've been some balance in the sky. When there's darkness, light must be there. That was the world's rule from the beginning... and it will always stay there.

"I got you..." A calm voice calls out to me as the darkness began to fade off of my skin. I opened my eyes and looked up to the one who had me in their arms. Surprisingly... he was unlike anyone I ever know...

He had raven-black hair... and gray eyes that stood coldly. They swirled around like a snowstorm. In a way... he was mesmerizing... for a human...

His smirk grew as he gently put my feet to the ground. "I got you..." he repeats, "my fair maiden..." 

*   *   *

Levi's POV

She was much wonderful in person. Her hair was a beautiful shade of brown, and her eyes sparkled with hazel colors. I couldn't help but smile to her... oh! She was just beautiful. Although, she was taller than me... but height doesn't matter... not to me.

"M-Maiden?" She asks, tilting her head. "Who are you?" The ground glinted with something... and I leaned down to pick those objects up. "Oi... I don't know who you are."

I chuckled softly, examining the objects. One of them was a pair of glasses and the other a ring. "Blind, are we?" 

She takes it, frantically putting it on her face. "A-Ah... I-I guess..." She gazes at the ring, sighing softly. "What is that?"

"I don't know... I just know it's a ring..." Curiously, I examined the object, slowly twisting it. Accidentally twisting it a bit, a blast of moonlight came out of it... and it burned me. I screamed a bit in pain as I dropped the ring, running out of the radius. "It's moonlight!"

The maiden smiles softly, picking the ring up. "I need this..." She says gently, glowing with the moonlight. "I can't survive without this..."

"But... I cannot be near you..." I say, cautious of the moonlight's radius. Of course she needs it... her powers come from the moonlight. Did I really expect it to be this easy? Apparently, I did. "I'm Levi, my fair maiden. What's your beautiful name?"

"I'm Hanji... w-where can I stay?" She gazes up to her hidden moon, covered in the darkness. "I'm lost... and I don't think I can last long... these shadows are gonna hunt me down-"

"And I won't let you, Hanji." I say in the gentlest way I could. My hand went up to her cheek, caressing it softly. "I promise... I won't let you be taken away from those... monsters. No matter what. I'll protect you. Come with me... and I'll protect you from them. You'll be safe under my rule..."

She nodded her head, "Please... keep me safe. I'm scared... I have never been on this planet... and I only saw-"

"From up above..." I smiled softly as I finished her sentence. "I know... I've seen you on your moon, all lonely. But alas, we have a week... a week to keep you company. You won't ever be alone..."

She chuckles, closing the ring from the moonlight it stored. "Thank you, Levi... thank you very much..."