Chapter 5: Pain

Levi's POV

I watched the nights pass, and soon, it was night 3. Deep in my dark heart... I knew that I could never keep her, for soon she needed to return to her moon... and who know when the next time the darkness would take over again... I would never know when she can lay her feet on the ground. I sighed, laying next to her as I watched her moonlight fade. 

She slowly opened her eyes, smiling graciously. "Levi... night..." She chuckles as she sits up. Her beautiful, hazel eyes were sparkling. 

"Night, Hanji..." I chuckled, kissing her cheek. Her light no longer stung me, because her light was fading. But I saw how it was affecting her. Her skin grew dark as the moonlight faded... and it just seemed that life was being drained from her. I sighed, touching her ring. "You need to recharge-"

"No..."

"Hanji..." I began to beg her, but she shushes me with her kind words. 

She chuckles softly, "I don't care if it seems that I'm dying... I just... want to be with you..." Her lead then leaned onto my shoulder and her arms weakly wrapped around me. "Because... I am falling for you..."

Holding her close, I chuckled softly. "I love you... okay? So... let's make the best of these last few nights."

Her head slowly bobbed as she perked up. It seemed she was almost lifeless now. I was desperately wanting to open her ring and let her recharge... but she would've gotten mad at me. "Alright... what should we do?"

"Nothing too extreme... you're becoming weak." I pointed out, holding herself up as she wobbled. "A small, casual walk. That's it, okay?"

"Alright... fine..." She groaned as she began to lean on him. "I'll follow..."

*   *   *

We then kept walking around, and I mostly had to hold her upright to keep her from falling. Oh, I was really tempted to twist that ring... 

"Hanji..." I then looked up at her, holding her hand with her ring. "When you do go back to the moon... would you remember me?"

She then nods, "Yeah... I would never forget you or my time down here." She chuckles, nuzzling my cheek with her weird nose. "Besides... I love you."

I chuckled, kissing her cheek. "And you already know my answer, my fair maiden." I leaned against her, sighing heavily as I knew the inevitable. I never wanted her to leave... I would do anything to have her by my side again... forever... "Hanji... what's it like to be on the moon?"

Silence... it was completely silent. I then turned to Hanji, seeing her head laying on my shoulder, as usual... but something felt... completely off. Nudging her, I saw how gloomy she grew... and my eyes widened when I saw her moonlight completely depleted from her skin.

"Hanji!!!"

*   *   *

Carrying her back to that abandoned cabin, I quickly had to open her ring, full blast. I yelped in pain as it burned me... but I didn't care. The moonlight carefully crept onto her dull skin... and I just sat there... smiling in pain as it burned. I don't care... I would gladly die if it meant for her to live in my place...