Hanging in Space

Amy was exploring all the rooms of the TARDIS as it swayed steadily in space. The doors were open and Beth was sat in the doorway, looking up at the purple swirls of the galaxy and the stars reflected in her eyes. The Doctor, who was supposed to be working on the TARDIS, was watching the girl sitting there.

     Sighing before he could decide against it, he walked up to her and sat next to her, swaying his legs off the side. He turned to the girl, who had stopped looking at the beauty in front of them and was instead looking at the, in her opinion, ugly scar lying on her palm.

     "What happened?" The Doctor asked before he could stop himself, then his eyes landed on the blood splattered on the top of her black top, he hadn't seen it earlier but under this light, it stood out, "What's that?" He touched the fabric and realised it was still wet and the red liquid fell on his finger. Beth quickly shuffled away, looking back up at the sky, "Are you hurt?" Beth shook her head and the Doctor had to ask again, "What happened all those years I was away?"

     Beth played with her fingers, she was fighting tears and the Doctor knew it, "I - I am sorry," The Doctor quickly wrapped his arms around her and Beth rested her head in the crook of his neck, she ignored the electricity she felt, as did the Doctor as he rubbed her back.

     "What happened to the little Annabeth? What happened to the Scottish accent, it was amazing," The Doctor tried not to ask too many questions but they kept exploding into his mind,

     "I went to boarding school," She answered simply pulling away from the hug and shrugging her shoulders, "They taught me to speak properly, whatever that meant," 'Taught' was a loose term, more like torture,

     The Doctor could tell she wasn't speaking the whole truth when she winced at the word 'taught' but he didn't want to push it, "Okay," The Doctor rubbed her shoulder, "You don't have to tell me anything, how about we go somewhere fun? Get whatever's making you this sad out of your mind?" He asked, getting to his feet and holding his hands out which she gladly took and the Doctor pulled her to feet and Beth smiled lightly,

     "I would like that," Beth smiled, brushing the tears off her cheek, "I am sorry, for crying,"

     The Doctor shook his head, brushing the tear she forgot about, "Don't apologise for crying Beth, not around me," He smiled softly, which Beth returned. Not realising they began leaning closer but when Amy came running back into the control room and the two jumped apart, both blushing madly.

     "So, where are we going?" Amy asked, clearly not realising she had walked in on a moment. Beth shook the thought of what she would have done if Amy hadn't walked in, she didn't know the Doctor that well, and besides love was a weakness, that's what she was taught.