II -- Son of the Old Pal -- Part III

When they arrived at an opening, the old man placed Garrett Young down and stood in a normal poise. "It's time to practice the Breathing Method, Son."

Garrett Young did as he was told and felt the weight on his chest being lifted away instantly.

Delighted, the old man ruffled Garrett Young's hair. "You are such a brilliant boy, even much smarter than my dead--" He couldn't continue further as tears welled up his eyes.

Garrett Young leaned forward and hugged the old man. "Father! It's fine! I'm here." He tried to fight back his tears, but those tears that he'd held back for seven whole years cascaded down like open faucets. The old man joined him and they both broke into a loud wail.

Garrett Young didn't know why he'd become so sentimental. He felt so connected with the old man. Perhaps the old man had lost his son and Garrett Young was an orphan since he was eleven of age. No one had ever ruffled his hair ever since. Before his mother died, she'd mentioned about Jiro Quok and Rowenna Hwang. She urged him to stay with them in the Isle of Plum but he didn't want to be dependent on the others. He chose to survive on his own. The town people looked at him as if he was a stray and kicked him away whenever he begged for food. He had never felt love, not until he met this old man.

A good five-minute had sailed past when the old man, though unwillingly, tore himself free from Garrett Young's embrace. "Let me show you a new skill."

Swiftly, he squatted on the ground and croaked thrice before spreading his hands out in a wide circle. A gust of strong force released from his palms and hit a line of oak trees, breaking them into halves. Dust and pebbles rained down over them at the impact.

Garrett Young clapped excitingly, "What's the name of this skill? Will I be able to learn it?"

"This is called The Magic Power of the Toad. I'm sure you can grasp it easily with your intelligence. Listen carefully, Son. The Toad is a creature that cocoons itself in the soil, absorbing the essence from the Heaven and the Earth. This skill that I'm going to teach you focuses on training your internal strength. You must remember the mantra well. Any wrong pauses or intonations will cause your death. My son wasn't as bright as you and he..."

Garrett Young held his father's hands. "I promise you that I'll memorize the mantra well."

The old man grinned and told Garrett Young the mantra. Garrett Young had only practice for two rounds when the old man put up a hand. "Wrong, you have it all wrong." Shaking his head, he said, "You're tired. Go back and have some rest. I'll come to see you tomorrow night."

"I don't want to go back there." Garrett Young's expression turned solemn. He didn't want to be taunted by the unruly Fiona again. "I'll follow wherever you go, Father."

The old man shook his head again. "I'm not in my sober state lately. I might trouble you in some circumstances. Go back. I'll come to see you again once everything is settled."

"Can you promise me to make it quick then?"Garrett Young tugged at the old man's sleeve.

The old man nodded and grasped Garrett Young with an arm. He was about to break into a sprint when the boy stopped him. "What's the matter, Son?"

"There is a temple called The Copper Spear. My parents' urn were stored there. Why don't we meet there instead of in the inn?" His instinct told him that the inn was a dangerous site.

The old man ruffled his hair again. "There's nothing to be afraid of, Son. The inn will is fine. Come, let's go!" Like a wind, he sent Garrett Young back. 

Once Garrett Young arrived at his chamber, he pretended to sleep when he heard a commotion outside his room, followed by the sound when the door creaked open.