Episode One: "Old Ghosts"

Clementine watched as A.J. exited the dorm building, Rosie in tow. She smiled at him as he approached her.

"Put my...your hat in a good spot, kiddo?" she asked.

A.J. sat next to her. "You mean our hat," he said with a playful wink. "I set it on the big table thing in between our beds, right where everyone can see."

Clem laughed. "Nuh uh. Don't you start winking at me, too. Louis already does that enough." She looked down, her smile quickly fading.

"What's wrong?" A.J. asked concerningly.

She let out a sigh. "I'm just... please be careful tomorrow, okay? We don't know how dangerous these people are." She looked at him and grinned. "And I need you to protect Louis for me. Think you can handle that?"

A look of determination swept across A.J.'s face. "Protect Louis. Check," he said. "Don't worry, Clem. I won't let anyone hurt him."

Clem nodded and gazed across the courtyard at Louis. He caught her staring and winked at her. She playfully rolled her eyes and picked up her crutches. "Come on, A.J. Let's go up to the office. I have another little surprise for you," she called as she slowly ascended the Admin building's front steps.

When they reached the main staircase, Clem stopped and looked up at it. "Woah. Until now, I never realized how many steps there were. Guess having to use crutches to walk does that to ya," she said.

"It's okay," A.J. replied. "I'll be here to help you. Just go slow."

Clem slowly began traversing the seemingly impossible terrain that was the massive staircase. She was about a fourth of the way up when she miscalculated a crutch placement and slipped, tumbling backwards. A.J. reached out to catch her, but he was too slow. She continued to roll down the steps until she reached the floor below.

A.J. scrambled after her. "Clem! Are you okay? Your leg, it's bleeding!" he exclaimed.

Clem slowly sat up and examined her bandages. Blood had begun to seep through the wrap. "Great. Damn. A.J., can you go get Louis and Ruby? She's going to need to look at this," she said with a grimace.

A.J. bolted out the front door. He returned shortly, accompanied by Louis and Ruby. They knelt beside Clem.

"What happened, Clem? You all right?" Ruby questioned.

"I think so. Might have some bruises. I was trying to get up to the office and I misstepped. But I'm okay. I just opened the wound back up, stings a little," Clem answered.

Ruby motioned to Louis. "Lou, pick 'er up, carry her to the nurse's office for me. We need to make sure Clem here didn't do any major damage," she said.

"Sure thing, Ruby. All right, Clem. I gotcha," Louis said, followed by a kiss on Clem's cheek. She felt her face run hot, her cheeks bright red.

The four of them made their way to the nurse's office. Louis gently lowered Clem onto the medical cot, and Ruby began to unwrap the bloody bandage. Clem winced from the tinge of pain.

"Hmm. It looks all right. Just a slight bit open. I'll clean and rewrap it and you'll be all set," Ruby said. "Louis, would ya hand me the peroxide from the cabinet there?" she asked.

Louis fetched the peroxide, and Ruby proceeded to gently clean the wound. After she was satisfied with the cleanliness, she wrapped Clem's leg in fresh bandages, stepping back to admire her handiwork.

"There. All better. Lou, help me prop her leg up to slow the bleeding... That's good. Now, you need to not be tryin' any more stairs anytime soon, hun. I'd suggest keepin' your leg like this for tonight. Maybe tomorrow, dependin' on the flow. We don't want ya bleedin' out on us."