Episode Two: "Elusive Reasons"

Note:
I know Arvo's grammar seems weird. That's the point. He never spoke perfect English, so it should seem broken in some spots.

Clementine's fear vanished as quickly as it had arisen. A rage now burned within her. Even the sweltering sun's rays could not compare with her internal fire.

"Arvo," she said, her tone so cold that the trees trembled.

"Yes, that is right. How are you? I did not think you would survive my...mistake. Seeing you alive is very...surprising," he said apologetically.

Clem nodded to Louis. In one swift move, he dropped Arvo to his knees, his knife only an inch from Arvo's jugular.

"Mistake?" Clem asked sternly. "That's what you call it? A mistake? You shot me in the shoulder! You shot a fucking eleven year old! If you weren't such a shitty shot, I would've died. Mistake?!" She turned and spat on the ground.

"I-," he began to respond. Clem watched Louis close the already minuscule gap between his knife and Arvo's neck. She motioned for him to let Arvo speak.

"I deserve this, yes? I think so. Clementine, I am truly sorry. I was young and, uh, stupid. But I promise, I mean no harm. I, how you say... come in peace," he croaked, fear ever-present in his eyes.

Clem signaled Louis to release Arvo. He rose to his feet, checking his neck. He turned to Clem.

"Thank you," he said, the fear still an obvious impacter. Clem scowled and reluctantly nodded in return.

"Now. Louis, why the hell is he here?" she demanded.

"We were keeping our distance, like you said. All of a sudden, he's just there, behind us. It was like he was watching us. And I guess he actually was watching, but more than just A.J. and I. Because he immediately asked to see you. He's some kind of scout for the caravan," he detailed.

Clem looked Arvo up and down. "This true? You're scouting for that caravan?" she asked.

"Yes, it is. I was, eh, how you say, searching ahead for my people. I found the school, saw you and the other kid hanging the tire from the tree."

Clem looked through the main gate. "How many of you are there? And we know you've set up camp. I hope you aren't planning on staying," she said, her eyes returning to Arvo.

"Yes. There are, uh, twenty-two of us. We are not planning on staying. Gabe wants us to move on, more South. He said that..."

Clem gasped. "Wait. Gabe? Gabe who? What's his last name. Tell me now!" she commanded.

"I-I don't know. I had just joined the group before they left Richmond."

"Fuck." Clem motioned Louis over to her. "I think that's the same Gabe I knew in Richmond...the one I... never mind. Surely he's not leading the group. He was kind of a, well. A bitch, to be honest," she whispered.

"Wait, you think you know two of them? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing," he answered, peering back at Arvo. "Ask him to bring the guy here, I guess. Or we can meet them in the woods."

Clem weighed the options. After a minute, she came to a conclusion. "Arvo. If you all are so 'peaceful,' bring this Gabe here. I want to talk to him myself, in the flesh."

Arvo looked worried. "I'm not sure he will come, but I will try. We will return later, if he agrees. If not, well..." he replied.

"Louis, see him out," she ordered.