Episode Five: "Old Ghosts - Part Two"

Clementine stood still in utter shock and awe. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Gabe dart towards the man, hugging him.

"Javi! You're alive! I- how did you make it out? I thought there was no way you'd make it," Gabe said, excitement boiling over.

"There were moments when I thought I wouldn't make it either. But I guess Papa was watching over me. I slipped out when I found an opening. There was no one left... Richmond is no more," Javi replied. He looked at Maiya. "But hey! You and Maiya got out safely! That was my biggest worry."

Clem felt his gaze reach her. "Clem, it's so good to see you! Well, about four fifths of you," he said with a smirk, examining her leg.

She limped over to him, following Gabe's hug with one of her own. "Yeah, it's a long story. Gabe said you were gone, Javi. " She stepped back. "So seeing you is like seeing an old ghost. How did you find us?"

Before Javi could answer, Louis blurted out from behind Clem. "Oh my GOD! You're Javier Garcia! The Javier Garcia! You played shortstop for Baltimore! Clem, why didn't you tell me Javi was the baseball player you'd met? I'm a huge fan! Name's Louis." Louis stuck his hand out, and Javi obliged with a shake. Clem rolled her eyes.

"Woah, a fan. Haven't really had one of those in a while. So you were a baseball fan, huh?" Javi asked.

Louis nodded. "Yeah, big time. I still remember your walk-off grand slam against Boston to win the AL Pennant. You're a big reason I wanted to play in the MLB some day."

"Well, I'm flattered. I miss it, that's for sure... Anyways, Clem. Honestly, it was pure luck that I found you. I was walking along a trail and somehow stumbled upon Gabe's caravan. They said Gabe had been visiting this old school, and that he was with a girl he'd met a long time ago," Javi said, answering Clem's original question.

"Well," Maiya started. "We're just glad you're okay."

Javi's smile quickly morphed into a look of concern. "Gabe, how long have you had the caravan stationary?"

Gabe shrugged his shoulders. "A few days. Why?"

"Clem, we'll go finish up with Aasim and Ruby," Louis said before walking away.

Javi surveyed the courtyard. "Because those motherfuckers who attacked Richmond know some of our people escaped. They may want to 'clean up' the rest. We need to get moving. Tomorrow." He turned back to Clem. "Clem, I'm sorry. I know, it's been a while. I wish we would've reunited under better circumstances. But I have my people to look out for, and last I knew, we were being hunted. I don't know if they would follow us this far, but they seemed determined," he finished.

"I understand. You have to look out for your people. I have to do the same now. So I understand. At least I got to see you. Oh, by the way, this is A.J." She motioned to A.J., who had been standing off to the side.

Javi knelt down. "Wow, the famous A.J. I met Clem when she was looking for you. I'm Javi."

A.J. looked at Clem, and she nodded her "okay" to approach. "H-hi. Nice to meet you, Javi," A.J. said shyly, shaking Javi's hand.

Javi stood up. "Gabe, we need to leave as early as possible. Run back to the carav-"

Maiya collapsed to her knees, grasping at her stomach. She let out a groan. "Gabe! I think... I think the baby... is coming."

"Shit. I got her, Gabe. Clem, do you have a medical area?" Javi asked as he lifted Maiya up.

"This way," she responded, pointing with her crutch. "Gabe, lead the way, you know where it is. I'll be right there."

They hastily entered the infirmary, and Javi placed Maiya on the bed.

"Shit, does anyone know what to do?" Gabe pleaded.

"I got this, buddy. Don't worry, she'll be alright," Javi reassured. "Everyone except Gabe, leave the room. I need space to work. It's going to be okay, Maiya, just breathe."

Clem, A.J., and Violet left the infirmary to wait outside. Maiya's screams could be heard through the thick walls.

"Well, this is a new experience," Vi joked.

"Yeah, not one I'd ever want to go through. At least in a world like this," Clem said.

Hours rolled by. Louis and Willy had joined them outside the infirmary. Clem began to worry. Maiya's screams could no longer be heard. Finally, the door opened. Instead of the sound of a newborn baby, all Clem heard was the sound of tears pouring down Gabe's face.

"Javi, what happened?" she asked softly.

Javi was hugging Gabe. "Neither of them... made it," he said sadly.

Everyone stood in silence, Gabe's sobs the only sound emanating from the dark room. Clem slowly limped over to them and joined the embrace. "I'm sorry, Gabe," she whispered, motioning for everyone to leave the room.

Gabe sobbed for a few more minutes before speaking up. "Javi, I know...I know you did your best. This is just what happens sometimes. They're both in a better place now, with Mari and Kate..."

"That's right, buddy. They won't have to deal with living through hell every day anymore. They are in paradise. But it's up to us, to you, to carry on Maiya and your child's legacy," Javi replied.

Gabe walked over to the window. "You're right. I have to keep the memory of Maiya alive," he said.

Javi looked at Gabe, then locked eyes with Clem before speaking. "You know, Gabe. Maybe you should stay here, at the school. With Clem and her friends. I know you can handle yourself. You don't need me anymore, that's obvious."

Both Clem and Gabe were shocked. "What, no! Javi, I already thought I'd lost you once. I'm not going to just let you go like that," Gabe yelled.

"Woah, calm down, Gabriel. I wouldn't suggest it if you weren't ready. But I know you are."

Clem chimed in. "I mean, we're all okay with it. But Javi, you and Gabe are family. Don't you think you should stick together?"

"I do, but at the same time, I don't. Gabe realized a lot of things while leading our remaining people out of Richmond. Maybe him not expecting Uncle Javi to be right there is a good thing."

"I... maybe you're right, Javi. I'm not some little kid anymore. If Clem is okay with it, I'll stay here. I'll help keep them all safe."

Clem nodded approval.

"Good. That's good. Well, I'd better be going. I need to prepare my people to move out in the morning," Javi said.

The trio made their way to the front gate. Javi hugged Clem, then Gabe. "You two take care of each other now. I'll always be with you, right here," he said, pointing to his heart. "And Gabe? I'm so proud of you, buddy. You're stronger than you think. I know you'll realize it, one day. Until then, Clem, keep him in line," he finished with a wink.

"I will," Clem agreed, a few tears dripping down her face. "Goodbye, Javi."

"Goodbye, Javi," Gabe added.

Javi walked through the gate, waving as he disappeared into the mist of the night.

Sorry if this Episode seemed rushed. I had literally zero time to write until just now. After Tuesday, I'll be done with finals and can take more time to write and prepare!

Episode Six: "Rekindling" coming May 12th

ClementineMyDarling