Episode Nine - Fear and Uncertainty

Coran stands in front of a massive shape outside the Garrison base. He looks up approvingly at the metal skeleton of the new Castle of Lions. Pieces of the metal shell are being welded onto the outside, as the interior is in the process of being fitted with all the electronics and other guts of the Castle.

"Hey watch that!" Coran warns a pair of workers carrying up a large circular device. "That's a Durenthium auxiliary power cell! Break that and we won't have enough atoms to fill your caskets!"

The workers continue moving, albeit with a bit more care now. Coran sighs and goes back to looking up at the half-build Castle.

"Seems like things are really coming along now that we're in the construction phase." Shiro says walking up, along with Hunk and Pidge.

"Yes things are going well so far." Coran nods. "...but we'll still need that balmeran crystal."

"Well Keith and Allura should be back soon, we should see what our fearless leader thinks." Pidge offers.

"Seeing as their meeting with the Galra apparently went well, yes, It might not be too bad of a time to go get those crystals." Coran says thoughtfully. He looks back up at the Castle with a small smile.

"Excited to get her running?" Hunk asks.

"Of course!" Coran says beaming.

"Bet it'll be even better than the first one!" Pidge says with a smirk.

"I don't know about that..." Coran says twisting his mustache thoughtfully. "...but I strive to live up to my grandfather's legacy. You hear that grandpapi!? I won't let you down!" Coran shakes his fist to the sky exaggeratedly.

Shiro chuckles. "Well I'm glad you're determined to get everything in order. Just out of curiosity Coran, what did you ever find out about the Castle's...higher functions?"

"Ah, that." Coran nodded.

"Huh? Higher function?" Hunk asks.

"I don't remember hearing about this." Pidge says.

"It's nothing to worry about right now." Coran says. "We just discovered something a little...unexpected, when we were looking deeper into the Castle's plans. Apparently, there were some things the Castle was capable of that my grandfather never shared. Doesn't really matter, though. It seems the Castle would need to be fully staffed with alteans to make it work."

"Guess that probably won't be happening anytime soon." Shiro sighs.

"It's...difficult to be certain.Those colony alteans have been especially...hard headed." Coran says carefully. "But, I feel that I mustn't lose hope in the Princess! She will find a way...eventually."

"Maybe she's just being too soft on them." Pidge scoffs.

"I don't think the Princess wants to antagonize them any further. They already see her as an enemy."

"They attack us and we're the ones being antagonistic? Sure." Pidge says dismissively. "If I were the Princess I'd just-"

"Hold that thought," Shiro cuts her off, nodding upwards. "After all, you can always tell her yourself."

The others look up to see the Black and Blue Lions descending from the sky, with the Blades' ship in tow.

***

Lance stands inside a long room in the Garrison base. There are a series of red targets moving up and down, back and forth along the far end of the room via mechanical arms.

Lance is holding his rifle, staring through the scope at one target, following it's motions in his sights. His finger moves over the trigger. He takes several breaths. His hand starts to shake. He fires. The shot misses.