Episode Nineteen - The Singularity of War

(Warning...this thing is a monster. Seriously, I really got carried away here. If you're planning on reading this in one go make sure you're comfortable first, because this is the big boy. Enjoy.)

The blazing light of explosions flashes across Coran's face. He stares out at the carnage spread out across the Castle of Lion's viewport. The forces of the Coalition and the Black Paladins tear into each other, energy blasters and ion cannons causing untold destruction. But his gaze looks past all of that, to lock onto the form of Voltron approaching that of Darktron and Sincline. He strokes his mustache nervously.

"Coran?"

He is shaken from his study of the monitor and turns to find Romelle standing on the bridge behind him.

"The Castle is in full combat configuration." She reports.

"Ah yes. Very good. Very good..." His gaze shifts back out to the starfield, where the forces of Zarkon and the Coalition smash into one another. He sees a team of Garrison fighters swoop along the side of a Galra cruiser and unleash a payload of energy-bombs that cripple the enemy ship.

"You wish to be in the thick of it?" She ventures.

"Yes. This has been my battle for a long time and it pains me not to be backing up the Princes and other paladins. Also...if I'm being honest, I'd really like to show these galra what for one last time. But..." He looks back to the alteans manning stations around the bridge.

"...Princess Allura left all of you in my charge. And risking the Castle unnecessarily will help no one. So we will hang back and fire from afar. We will not directly engage until we are needed.

"And if we are called upon?"

"well...we'll just have to show them just what the ship my grandfather designed can really do with a full crew of alteans."

Romelle smiles. "Aye aye, Captain."

He returns the smile, then turns back to the viewport. Voltron and Sincline finally meet Darktron in a blaze of brilliant light.

"I leave all my hopes with you, Paladins." He says in a voice just above a whisper. "Finish this."

***

Voltron swings, tearing a blue streak through space. Darktron blocks, blade crackling with violet lightning. Sincline thrusts, blade a blur of purple light. Darktron parries and ripostes, knocking the other mecha back. The three mechas strike at each other, blades are a storm of glowing blurs, faster than the eye can keep up.

A powerful clash knocks all backwards. Darktron pulls back, quintessence burning down the blade. It lowers the blade towards them in silent challenge. Sincline makes to move forward.

"Wait," Keith starts to say, "we should pull back and try to-"

"You don't scare me, Zarkon!" Sincline Lotor bellows, charging towards the other mecha. Keith curses, and Voltron bursts forward to join Sincline.

Darktron, Sincline and Voltron swing their blades at the same time. When the blades meet a wave of energy explodes outward. The force of the blow flings both Voltron and Sincline tumbling backwards through space.

Darktron did not give an inch from the blast.

Jets of energy erupt from Darktron's wings, thrusting it after the two tumbling mechas. It goes after Voltron, the closer target.

Voltron's shield is thrown up at the last second, but Darkon's swing is powerful enough to the breach the shield, sending two halves spinning.

Sincline appears behind Darktron, twin swords raised to it's exposed back.