Chapter 3 - Unfaithful

Tae POV

Tae POV

I key in the code of the automatic gate of N'Bas' house and pull over the drive way. I get down and open the car door for him, a little eager to send him in, end my day and head home myself. He steps out and heads straight for the front door looking down. Oh no. I know when he's acting like this. It means he cried. Again. And this just means one thing for me -- overtime work. I sigh knowing what will happen next.

I follow him to the door, quietly hoping that he'll decide to just sleep it off. But this scene has happened so many times that I know for a fact that he won't. As soon as he gets inside, he instructs his waiting maid to bring him wine and cheese. "Bring some for Tae, too," he adds without looking at me nor the maid as he heads straight to his patio.

I know this is gonna be a long night, so I fish out my phone and text my brother.

Tae: I won't be home tonight. Don't stay up late and lock the doors.

Kimmon: Is Bas doing an overnight shoot?

Tae: Just do as I say and no more questions.

Kimmon: Okay, okay. Btw, P'Tae, I'm sorry, but I kinda need a little help for my school project next week. I won't get my pay until the week after.

Tae: How many times do I have to tell you to stop working and just focus on your studies? I'll take care of it.

Kimmon: Thanks, P.

Tae: Lock the doors!

Kimmon: Yeah. Yeah.

I just finished texting Kim when the maid calls for me.

I inhale deeply and exhale before I enter the house. I head straight to the patio where he's lounging on a recliner seat, sipping his wine. I stand beside him, waiting for his order, not saying a word.

"Take a seat and drink with me," he says without looking at me. I sit with a straight body on the recliner beside his, facing him while he's looking straight ahead, facing the pool. I take the other wine glass on the table between our chairs.

He takes another sip. It won't be long before he gets buzzed. He's a light drinker.

"How's your brother?" he asks. It's unlikely for him to know something about the personal lives of his staff, but I'm an exception. Others who surround him say that he sees himself as too important to bother with us outside work, despite the fact that we're all together almost 24/7. But I see N'Bas differently, and that's because I've been with him more closely than the others. I know that he's rude and arrogant, but I also know that he's just lonely and insecure inside. He's covering them up by being high and mighty, but I've seen his soft and vulnerable side, which he so expertly hides from everyone, especially the press.

"He's fine," I answer, not engaging too much in the small talk he's trying to make.

"Is he still doing part time?" N'Bas asks, not wasting time. Why would he anyway? We've done this several times already.