Chapter 17

"Roman?" The woman currently pinning me to the ground whispered in disbelief, with traces of disappointment and regret in both her familiar voice and her familiar face. "You're an assassin?"

The monologue was coming to an end, and out of the corner of my eye I could tell that Lockheed was tensing up in preparation for the fight to begin. In my ear Thunderclap reported in the status of her smoke bombs as Tenpin let out a quiet tisk at whatever the idiot in the pavilion had said – I had tuned out when his voice got too annoying.

Silvershot was silent but seeing as she had reported when the woman tackled me, she was watching.

"Kristi." I replied, finally placing face to name. I hadn't really expected the girl who was hopelessly crushing on me to be part of a local drug gang, but I hid my surprise thanks to my improved acting skills and grinned darkly instead. "Though I suppose that's not your real name, is it?"

"Shut up." She growled, narrowing her eyes as her jaw twitched.

I almost laughed at the stupidity, my exclamations still in a whisper. "It is! Did not expect that!"

Kristi pulled a gun and shoved it in my ribs, my two layers keeping me from feeling the sharp edges or temperature of the metal, but the supposed threat it had against my life was still apparent. "I really wish I didn't have to kill you, I could have used a boytoy."

"You don't have to kill me." I responded, fighting back my growing disgust to keep my act in-tact. "I'm not an assassin."

If she thought that I would have gone with her – willingly or not – to be something she could parade around and use for her own desires, then she had misjudged my personality completely. The fact that she was a drug dealer only made my disgust grow tenfold.

She blinked in surprise. "But, what?"

"My name is Thanatos." I gave her a dark smirk and winked. "And I deal in death. Knowing why people deserve to be assassinated is almost as important as knowing the assassins themselves."

Kristi's head exploded as I rolled to the right, away from the blood and gore and onto my guns, scooping them up as gunfire started echoing through the forest. Vaulting over the top row of seats, I made my way over towards where Samantha was hiding. As I returned fire against one of the 'Cobras', I realized something.

Silvershot never goes for a headshot unless she's showing off or she really hates the person. The former definitely wasn't the case here, but why would she hate Kristi-

Holy crap, does she like me back?!

I grinned stupidly when I realized that, but it quickly disappeared as the man swore at me and I shot him in the face.

Finding Samantha, her eyes widened as I dropped into the row next to her. "Come on, let's get you out of here."

"Holy crap! Roman?" She exclaimed.

So much for my hoodie. "I'm a good guy, let's go."

She scooted away for me. "Nuh-uh. How do I know that you're not lying to me?"

A drug dealer spotted us and raised his gun to shoot, but Lockheed got him in the side, and he tumbled down towards the center of the pavilion.

"Read my facial cues, Sam. I can promise you that the moment I don't absolutely despise drug dealers will be a sure sign of the apocalypse, and that I will do everything in my power to get you out of here safe."

----<|>----

Sorry this chapter ends weirdly, I didn't know where to go with it.