BONFIRE

[Margaret]

[Margaret].

Today we got a new greenie. Poor shank, he was crying the whole time until the boys took him out of the box. One more kid sent to the glade, with no memory of his previous life. It will always make me remember my time when I came into the box.

Let me just say it wasn't pretty.

A new kid only reminds me of how much time we have been trapped in this shucking place. How many more have to be sent till we get out of here?

But greenie day wasn't all bad, we made sure of that. At night we had a massive bonfire. It was an event to just relax and help us forget that we were trapped here. Gally would make his secret drink that no one really knew what it was made of, but no one seems to care, I know I didn't. It tasted awful and it burns your throat, but it makes you loosen up and that was what the bonfire was all about.

It was getting dark, a few torches illuminated the glade. We already had pretty much everything ready. Fry was finishing the food, while I and other gladers were preparing the wood for the actual fire.

We were gathered in a circle around the wood that will soon become alive. Steaks burning with orange flames ready to be thrown.

"Light them up!" Alby gave the order.
The sticks were thrown and immediately the fire ascends towards the night sky. The cheers of the gladers and the crack of the wood fill the atmosphere.
And so the night began.

      ✳︎✳︎✳︎

It was already late but the celebration of the new greenie was still going. I was on the ground, my back resting against a log. A circle with some gladers had somehow formed during the night. We were all just talking and laughing until Fry suggested, "How about we play a game?"

"Oh no, you're games always awful" I was quick to reject that idea. The last time we actually agreed in playing any game that he came up with, a glader broke his arm.