chapter 5: aftermath

The Guardians returned to the Great Tree, where the Milkberry Harvest Festival was still in full swing. The other owls cheered the Guardians' return. While most of the Guardians rejoined the festivities, Boron, Barran and Otulissa had entered the parliment chamber. Soren, worried over what could happen to Otulissa, waited outside. After what seemed like an eternity, Otulissa left the chamber.

"Well?" Soren asked worriedly. "What did they say?"

"They made me a Guardian!" Otulissa squealed triumphantly.

"Really?" Gasped Soren, astonished.

"Really." Otulissa nodded. "They'll be holding the official swearing-in ceremony first thing after the festival."

"Congratulations!" Soren cheered. "You really deserve it."

"Thanks." Otulissa smiled. "Now, what do you say we go and finish that dance of ours?"

"I'd be delighted to." Smiled Soren.

The two took off from the branch outside the parliment chamber, flying down to the dance floor below. Upon landing, Soren offered his wing. Otulissa took it, and once more they danced slowly to the owl chorus.

"I just remembered something." Otulissa realised. "Right before Primrose, shall we say, 'dropped in', you were about to tell me something. Go ahead."

"Oh, of course." Soren stammered. "Well, the truth is, I... really like you, Otulissa. A lot."

"You do?" Otulissa raised her brow quizzically.

"Yes." Soren mumbled. "In fact, you could even say I... love you."

"Oh, really?" Otulissa smiled. "Well, it just so happens that I feel the same way about you."

"You do?" Soren gaped.

"Of course." Otulissa grinned at him. "Why do you think I flew all the way out there to save you?"

"Of course..." Soren smiled sheepishly. "Well, what now?"

"I can think of one possibility..." Otulissa smirked at him.

Otulissa slowly leant toward Soren, and Soren leant towards her in response. Their beaks opened, then interconnected, as their tongues met in an avian kiss.

By that point, practically every pair of eyes in the trees were on the pair. Soren's parents, Noctus and Marella, watched with silent pride, while Mrs. P., Soren's former nursemaid, nodded her approval. In sharp contrast to them, Eglantine was doing a little song and dance.

"Soren loves Ochy, Soren loves Ochy..." The owlet chanted.

Twilight, Digger and Gylfie were watching from the banquet.

"Well done, my boy." Twilight nodded his approval.

"D'awww!" Slurred Digger, his beak full of grubs. "Dat's sho shweet!"

"I suppose Soren could do worse." Gylfie admitted grudgingly.

After their kiss finished, the two young owls looked at each other, each content to stare into the other's eyes.

Meanwhile, in a dark cavern, Kludd was seething over his defeat when he was approached by Nyra.

"My king?" Nyra asked. "What is wrong?"

"I made a mistake." Kludd said quietly. "I focused on killing Soren instead of destroying the Guardians. But Soren is a Guardian now, so destroying them will mean destroying him. Rest assured, I will not make that mistake again."

"Such determination, such clarity." Nyra sidled up to Kludd, her wing touching his. "I always knew you had potential. It will be a honor to fight alongside you, my king."

"Yes." Kludd sneered. "The next time our forces meet, we will show Soren and his spotted friend that they are not the only ones who can work together. After all, this is only the beginning..."

The two evil owls stood in the gloom of the cavern, thinking their twisted thoughts, and planning for the destruction of their enemies.

The End.