Chapter Fifteen

~COPYRIGHT 2019~

"My baby!" Bird heard her mother yell from the porch of the house.

Bird giggled and ran towards the house. Standing on the porch were her mother, father and her best friend, her little sister Rain. She could see her siblings and their significant others scattered around camp, but all she cared about was seeing her parents and her little sister.

Ami immediately wrapped her arms around her daughter and squeezed her. She was trying not to cry. She had missed her dearly and this was surprise that she was home. It was so good to see her.

Marigold watched the exchange, smiling. She felt a small pang in her heart wishing that she could have that with her parents again.

"Welcome to BrownTown," a voice came from beside her.

She turned to find a woman who she recognized from the bonfire that night in Hoonah. She didn't know her name, but remembered her being nice and extremely protective over Bird. Marigold reached out her hand.

"I'm Marigold," she introduced herself. "Bird brought me out here to meet you all."

"I'm Lorelei. I knew who you were the moment I saw you," Lorelei smiled, shaking her hand. She had a bit of a twinkle in her eye, like she knew something. "I've been looking forward to meeting you. I've heard a lot about you."

"Have you really?" she wondered.

Lorelei leaned in to whisper in the girls ear. "I know everything. And I'm happy that Bird found someone who makes her happy." She pulled away and walked away, looking back at the girl, winking.

Marigold laughed to herself. That Lorelei woman sure was interesting.

"And who have you brought home with you?" Marigold heard Bird's mother ask.

She approached the porch and went up the stairs, standing in front of Bird's parents.

"Ma, Da, this is my friend, Marigold," Bird introduced her.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you," she smiled, holding out her hand.

"I'm a hugger!" Ami exclaimed, wrapping her arms around the girl.

Marigold laughed and hugged the older woman back.

"Come inside you two! Let's catch up!"

Ami ushered the two girls inside and they sat around the family table.

"So how did you two meet?" Ami wondered.

"Mom, do you remember when I sent that letter while ago? It was actually going to Marigold here," Bird explained. "She actually moved to Ketchikan a little while ago and we ran into each other!"

"Oh that's wonderful!" Ami smiled, clasping her hands together. "What caused you to move to Ketchikan?"

Bird's head whipped to Marigold. She saw her gulp and reached under the table, grabbing her hand so her mother couldn't see.

"I had a bit of a falling out with my family. I fell in love with Alaska when I took a cruise so I figured I would come here," she explained. Tears were visibly surfacing on her waterline.

Ami's face fell as she heard the story and saw the girl get emotional. She reached her hand across the table and Marigold let go of Bird's hand under the table, reaching it out to her mother. Ami clasped their hands together and gave her a sympathetic look.

"Well you are more than welcome to stay with us for a while, dear. I know we aren't a replacement for your parents, but we are here for you if you need us," Ami said. "Now Bird, why don't you show her where your room is?"

Bird followed her mother's orders and led Marigold upstairs. The younger girl, who she knew was called Rain, sat on a bed on one side of the room. On the other side of the room was another bed, which she presumed was Bird's.

"This is my bedroom, it's not much but it does what it's supposed to," Bird said.

"Hey, I personally love our room," Rain commented.

"I like it too, it has personality," Marigold said, looking around the room. There were multiple drawings hung up on the wall as well as some dream catchers.

"I'll take the floor tonight, you can have the bed," Bird told her.

"Nonsense, I'm the guest, I'll take the floor. Besides, I'm sure you're missing your bed after being gone."

She put her bag down on the ground and began rummaging through it to pull out her sleeping bag and a small pillow. She put it at the bottom of the bed and then got up smiling.

"There, comfy!" she exclaimed.

Bird and Rain laughed. Marigold turned and looked at them, chuckling as well. She went to go sit down on her blanket when Bird grabbed her hand.

"Don't get too comfy, you still have the meet the rest of the family. Come on!"

Marigold's eyes widened as Bird pulled her down the stairs. She was hoping to god that everyone else would like her. At least she had Lorelei on her side...

~COPYRIGHT 2019~