Chapter Seventeen - THE END

~COPYRIGHT 2019~

Rain stood still staring at the girls who were looking right back at her.

"Bird...is she your...girlfriend?" Rain asked.

Bird blushed and looked down at the ground. "Would you hate me if I said yes?" she asked.

Rain giggled. "Of course not! I'm excited for you! But I'm also mad that you didn't tell me!"

Bird's head whipped back up to face her sister. She was in shock. Her sister wasn't upset with her about dating a girl, she was simply upset because she hadn't shared her secret with her.

"Why did you hide it from me?" Rain questioned, walking up to the girls.

Bird didn't know what to say. Marigold spoke up.

"Because she was worried that what happened with my parents would happen to her," Marigold said. "My parents didn't accept who I was attracted to."

Rain reached out and took Bird's hand into hers. "Birdy, why would you think that?"

Bird shrugged. "I don't know...because everyone else has a normal relationship. I'm gonna be the odd one out."

Rain rolled her eyes at her sister, causing Marigold to laugh.

"You're an idiot. And I mean that in the nicest possible way," she said. "Come on, let's go back to camp. You need to tell everyone."

"W-WHAT? No, I'm not telling everyone yet! It's too soon!" Bird protested.

"Fine, if you want to hide away in the woods in order to get some alone time with your girlfriend, that's up to you."

Rain pivoted and began to walk away.

"Wait!" Rain turned around to her sister calling after her. "Will you stand by me while I do?"

"Duh, what kind of question is that?" she asked. "Now come on."

Bird hesitated to follow her sister, but Marigold grabbed her hand, encouraging her. The group of three walked back to camp. Everybody was scattered around camp doing their own things.

"Um...would everyone mind coming over to the fire pit for a second? I have something I need to tell you," Bird said.

It took a few minutes of everyone to gather but soon enough they were all around the fire pit, staring at Bird. Ami and Billy were looking at her daughter with curiosity, wondering what she wanted to tell them. If she wanted the whole family to know, it was clearly important.

Lorelei gave Bird an encouraging look, knowing what she was about to reveal. She moved to stand closer to the side of her just in case she needed a bit more of support.

"I haven't been honest with all of you," Bird said. "And I think it's time that I get this off of my chest."

She took a deep breath and continued. "Most of you know that Marigold and I met at the bonfire in town a while back...Well, she helped me discover who I really am and allowed me to explore another part of me."

She looked over and smiled at Marigold, grabbing her hand. "We lost contact with one another for a little while and then ran into one another in Ketchikan. We spent days with one another and that's when I realized something..."

She took another deep breath and looked around at all of her family members. They were quietly listening to her, waiting for the real news.

"It's okay, Bird," Lorelei reassured. "Tell them what you need to."

She nodded at Lorelei and swallowed before saying what she needed to. "Marigold and I aren't just friends...we've been seeing one another for quite some time."

"Seeing one another?" Ami asked.

Bird turned red in the face, embarrassed. Marigold took her hand and squeezed it. Ami traced the movement and realization dawned on her.

"Are you telling us that Marigold is your girlfriend?" Ami wondered.

"Yes..." she practically whispered.

Voices came from all different directions as she was surrounded by her family. Her and Marigold got hugs, pats on the back and congratulations. Tears came to her eyes as she realized that she had nothing to worry about. Her family was happy for her, excited that the second youngest sibling had found the one for her. And they didn't care who it was.

"I told you everything would be okay," Marigold whispered into her ear, kissing her on the cheek.

"Aww," everybody cooed, causing Bird to blush.

"Honey, I don't know why you felt like you had to hide this from us," Ami said. "If you're happy, that's all that matters. And Marigold, like I said when you first came here, you are more than welcome to stay with us. I hope that someday you make up with your parents. But until then, we are here for you."

"I'm more than happy to be here with you guys. Thank you for taking me in. I can't tell you how much it means to me," Marigold said.

"And I can't tell you how much you mean to me," Bird admitted.

Marigold turned to face Bird with a smile on her face. She pecked her lips and took her hand.

"Are you sure you're ready to be bound to the bush?" Bird asked her.

"I've never been more ready."

THE END

~COPYRIGHT 2019~