one.

Friday

                                                     Friday. 8th period. 2:13 p.m. English. 'Just fourteen more minutes,' Reese thought.
"Reese, what about you? What do you think?" Reese's head jerked up at the mention of her name. The class sat in silence as Mrs. Swift waited for an answer.
"Uhhh.." Reese nervously started. "Could you repeat the question?" The class erupted in laughter.

When the bell finally sounded, Reese hurriedly packed up her things and rushed to the door.
"Wait! Reese, could I talk to you for one sec?" Mrs. Swift called. Reese spun back on her heels and slowly walked back to her teacher's desk.
"Has everything been alright with you lately? You seem a bit... distracted?" The teacher questioned. Reese fidgeted with the sleeves of her yellow sweater.
"Uh, yeah, I mean, I'm fine." she said in a very unconvincing tone. Mrs. Swift raised her eyebrows at the young girl standing in front of her. She knew there was something going on with the child, but she didn't want to press any further and make her uncomfortable.
"Okay, well I am always here if you need me."
"Thank you." Reese said, barely above a whisper. And with that, the teen hurried out of the room, trying to escape the tension.

Taylor slid into the driver's seat and let out a long sigh. Looking over her shoulder, just as she put the car in reverse, Taylor noticed a young girl, walking on the street, not too far from where Taylor was parked, with no coat- in New York City, mid January. That girl happened to be the one she spoke with in her classroom, not more than 10 minutes ago. Taylor, and her kind heart, jumped out of the car and started toward the girl. When she finally caught up to her she called out her name, "Reese!" The teen turned and wore a confused look on her face.
"Reese, it's 20 degrees out here, you're gonna freeze!" the concerned teacher started. "Where are you headed?"
"Home." Reese replied in dull voice. Taylor thought for a moment.
"Why don't I give you a ride? You can't live far if you planned on walking in the first place."
"Oh I- it's fine, really I-" Reese stuttered.
"No, come with me. It's no trouble on my part."
The teenager realized her teacher was not going to take no for an answer, so she followed her back to the car.

They had been driving for maybe 10 minutes, Reese directing Taylor how to get to her home.
"You were gonna walk this far? Without a coat?" the teacher questioned. Reese, partly annoyed, and partly happy that someone was showing care for her, just simply shrugged her shoulders.
"It's right here."
Taylor pulled into the driveway of the small, cream-colored house.
"Thank you, so much." Reese said sincerely.
"It's no problem! Again, if you ever need anything, let me know."
Taylor watched the seemingly glum girl walk up to the porch, knock on the door, and go inside. 'Something's definitely up.' She thought to herself.

As soon as she entered the house, Reese made a beeline for her bedroom, trying to avoid confrontation. Unluckily for her, her mother stopped her before she reached the stairs.
"Did someone drive you here? Who was that?" Karen demanded.
"My teacher.. she saw me walking so she offered a ride." Reese kept her gaze on the floor.
"Oh really? And what would have happened if she kidnapped you? Didn't I teach you about stranger danger?" Karen snapped.
"She's not a stranger." Reese whispered.
"Don't talk back to me, you fucking idiot!" within seconds, Reese was on the floor in pain, and her mother walked away, satisfied with herself.

"I don't know, Karlie, I just have this weird feeling about her. I can see it in her eyes, she's hurting."
"Tay, how can you be sure there's something wrong, she's a tired, moody teenager. And honey, you can't solve every one of your students' problems."
Taylor sighed and Karlie wrapped her in a hug.
"Look, I know you're worried, that's just how you are. You have such a kind heart, babe, but if she doesn't come to you, you can't force it out of her, alright?" Karlie always tried to give the best advice she could when Taylor asked. Taylor smiles up at her wife, "I know, and thanks, babe."
"I'm gonna go get a shower, it was a tough day at work today. We had a 4 hour surgery on a little toddler today. He's fine, but it's always scarier when the patient's a little kid." Karlie said with a sigh.
"You're my hero," Taylor said before planting a loving kiss on Karlie's lips.
"I love you."