two.

                                              Taylor sat at her desk as the wave of tired, teenage students flowed into her classroom.
"Good afternoon!" she said to the kids in her usual perky voice. She received some responses, but most of the tired teens were over the day and ready to go home. Looking toward the back of the classroom, Taylor's eyes fell upon the small girl who she had generously driven home yesterday. To Taylor's surprise, Reese looked as though she had a black eye and a bruise near her jaw. Taylor was visibly concerned, but went on to teach the class.

For the second day in a row, Reese was called to her teacher's desk after class.
"Reese, if you don't mind me asking, how did you get those bruises on your face?"
Reese shifted uncomfortably in her spot and kept her eyes on the floor. She didn't know what to say.
"Honey, you can tell me. Is anything going on at home?" the teacher questioned. Reese started picking off her yellow nail polish and remained silent. Without words, Taylor stood and engulfed the girl in a hug. Reese didn't need to say anything, Taylor new by just looking into her broken eyes. The teen's eyes stung with tears, as she blinked furiously as an effort to hide them. Taylor simply held the girl, rubbing slow circles on her back. When Reese began to pull away, Taylor let her go.
"There's nothing you can do to stop it." Reese whispered.
"Reese, do you want me to call someone? I can help you get out of there." Taylor reassured.
Reese simply shook her head.
"Do you have a ride home today?" the older girl questioned.

Taylor and Reese sat in the car in the driveway of Harper's sad house. Taylor scribbled on a piece of paper and handed it to the younger girl.
"If anything happens, or you're scared, or you need anything, I want you to call or text me, okay?"
The teen sniffled. "Thank you, Mrs. Swift."
"Anything you need." Taylor reaffirmed while giving the small girl one more hug. She watched her slide out of the car and take slow steps up to the front door. Before she could open it herself, it swung open with a woman standing behind it. The woman scowled at Taylor and then roughly grabbed her daughter by the arm. Taylor's eyes welled up at the sight and thoughts of what her young student had to go through.

Taylor continued to drive Reese home after school each day. Her mother had seemed to become careless about it, and was usually passed out drunk when her daughter got home, anyways.

It was Friday night, around 9 o'clock, and Taylor and Karlie were driving home from a lovely pizza dinner date. Taylor felt her phone buzz.

I need help. Is there any way you could pick me up? I'm really sorry to bother you, but I don't have anyone else.

Taylor blinked in surprise at what she was reading and immediately typed a response, before showing her wife the messages.

I'm on my way.

Karlie turned the car around, while Taylor gave her directions.

Reese watched out the window, and when she saw headlights pass, she got up off of the floor of the kitchen and slipped out the front door. She ran to the car and, noticing the passenger's seat was occupied, hopped in the back. Taylor and Karlie both turned to look at the tear and blood stained teenager.
"Oh, honey." Taylor said sympathetically. "Let's go back to our apartment and then we can talk and get you all cleaned up, okay?"
The small girl simply nodded, tears still flowing.

Reese was sat on the edge of the bathtub as Taylor and Karlie addressed her wounds.
"How did you get glass in your legs, sweetheart?" Karlie asked gently.
"Uh, I- I accidentally knocked a plate off of the counter, and m- my parents got really mad and my dad pushed me down and started throwing other plates and dishes at me." the teen whimpered.
Karlie and Taylor's hearts broke for the girl.

The next hour went as follows: Taylor sat next to Reese, holding her hand, and talking through what had happened, while Dr. Karlie carefully removed the shards from the girl's legs and arms and cleaned up her wounds. Every once in a while, Reese would feel a jolt of pain and cry out.
"It's okay, love. Almost done. You're so brave, honey," Karlie would say to comfort her.

When she was all finished, the couple fed the girl, who looked like she hadn't eaten in weeks, and got her settled in the guest room, assuming she was staying the night.
"I have a few t-shirts here, if you wanna pick one to sleep in." Taylor said. Reese chose the yellow (of course) Pittsburgh Steelers t-shirt. Taylor left to give her some privacy. The shirt came down to the small teen's knees, so she wore it as a nightgown. Reese then went to the attached bathroom to get ready for bed. She stood and stared at herself in the mirror for a number of minutes. Every scar and bruise on her reminded her of the pain she has suffered through her whole life, and how she was completely silent, until now. She slid down the wall and erupted into quiet tears. It wasn't the same sobbing cry she did earlier, this was quieter, with more pain. Her chest ached. As she tried her best to stop the tears before Taylor or Karlie saw her.

At 1 o'clock in the morning, Taylor and Karlie jolted awake to the sound of screams. Jumping out of bed and running down the hall, they discovered Reese thrashing and convulsing on the bed. The couple rushed to her, and Taylor gently laid a hand on the younger girl's arm, causing her to flinch. When Reese's eyes flashed open, and instantly filled with more tears when they met with Taylor's. Taylor scooped up the small girl into her arms and held her close. Reese pressed as close to Taylor as she could, trying to forget the awful nightmare she just had. Taylor whispered soothing words into the girl's ear and calmed her down.
"How about I go get you some water?" Taylor said to the girl who was curled up in her arms. Reese grabbed Taylor tighter and began to cry again.
"Babe, Karlie will hold you," Taylor comforted.
Karlie took the girl from Taylor, who instantly clung to her. Although she was quite shy, Reese was in desperate need of comfort right now. Karlie decided to stand up with the girl wrapped in her arms and rock her slowly back and forth. Reese laid her head on Karlie's shoulder and held a fistful of Karlie's shirt.

Meanwhile, Taylor left the room and began to cry. She didn't want Reese to see her breaking down, and needed Karlie to take over. 'I have to do something,' Taylor thought. She managed to put herself back together, bring some water to the young girl to drink. Karlie held the now, sleeping girl in her arms.
"You're so good with kids," Taylor smiled at the sight.
"Babe, you're the teacher," Karlie laughed.
The couple settled the girl back in bed and made sure she was alright, and then headed back to bed.