Chapter 4

Adasser couldn't believe what had just happened. The patrol was supposed to be a simple one; a moderately easy one. They weren't planning on having to fight so many spiders at once, otherwise they would have sent more warriors along. But the nest had been much larger than anyone thought. How long it had gone unnoticed there, deep in the forest... Well he didn't want to know.

As if that was bad enough, his dear friend Legolas (who happened to be the prince of Mirkwood) made the split-second decision of staying behind to fend off the spiders, while everyone else escaped. It had been a terrible plan, and Adasser knew Legolas knew that, but then again, there wasn't much choice left. Several elves had been wounded in the fight and needed medical attention as soon as possible. They were truthfully lucky that no one ended up dead.

But when Legolas left, a feeling of discontentment and even fear rested inside of Adasser. What would become of Legolas? What if he too was wounded, or even worse?

"Ad, are you okay?" his brother, Hasdir, asked, looking up at him in concern. They were nearly at the gates of Mirkwood, and Adasser was really dreading having to tell King Thranduil the ill news.

"Yes... Yes, I'm fine." His voice trembled slightly. They both knew it was a lie.

Hasdir raised an eyebrow.

Adasser sighed and ran a hand down his face, suddenly feeling exhausted. "Why did Legolas have to do that? We could have found a way for him to flee with us! But now... But now he's..."

Hasdir placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "He did what he had to. It may have been a rushed decision, but Legolas is wise. He will find a way out of this, and he will be back home in no time." He smiled. "I promise."

Adasser didn't reply, and instead looked down at the ground. He only hoped that his brother's promise could be fulfilled.

---

Today had really not been Legolas' day. First, his patrol that Thranduil entrusted him to lead, had been ambushed by far too many spiders to count. And in that process, several people had gotten injured. Legolas groaned. It was all his fault. He should have realised what had been coming. But he didn't. And now things were definitely not going as planned.

Then there was the fact that he had actually gotten bit by one of the spiders and dragged off to who knows where. He knew he was still in the forest, but it was large and this part didn't look familiar to him. And his bow broke! His beloved bow had actually been broken during the fight! Legolas knew it was silly, but he had grown rather fond of that bow. It would take some time to get another custom one that was of the same high elvish quality.

On the bright side, Legolas had been rescued. And by a human, no less. He supposed he should thank the Valar for that small favor, but it was a bit difficult to be thankful for anything at this moment. He was currently paralyzed from his neck down, and wasn't sure how much longer he would stay this way.

That human though-- Estel, his name was... Legolas had only just met him, but he suddenly had a good feeling about him. He had been raised by Lord Elrond, afterall, which most likely meant he could also do all sorts of amazing healing.

If anyone could find ingredients for and create a cure for the spider venom, a pupil of Elrond could. Even if said pupil was a human.

The only humans Legolas had dealings with in the past were from Laketown, and since not all the men he met had been too overly polite, he had been wary Estel at first. It was strange though... He felt there was something different and special about his human, but not just because he was raised by elves. And Legolas intended to find out what that 'something' was.

Estel had gone exploring in the woods only a few minutes ago, but Legolas was already growing rather bored and impatient. There wasn't much to do when you couldn't move. He was still leaned back against the side of a tree, and though he loved trees dearly, it wasn't all that comfortable. But he knew he shouldn't complain. No-o-o. He had no right to complain after everything that had happened today.

Ha. Yeah right.

A few more minutes had passed now. Legolas glanced down at his right hand, where he stared at it intently, trying his hardest to move his fingers. They twitched slightly, but nothing other than that happened. He sighed. Oh well, at least it was a start.

Then he heard something.

Crunch.

Crunch.

Crunch.

The sound of dry leaves being lightly stepped on was heard.

"Estel?" Legolas called out. But no reply came. He attempted to turn his head to the source of the noise, but only partially managed it as his neck refused to comply with him. "Estel, is that you?" Still nothing but the soft crunch of the leaves. Legolas bit his lip, starting to worry a little. There were many dangerous things that lurked in these woods, and a paralyzed elf wouldn't do much good against any of them.

The sound was closer now. He was almost certain it was coming for him. Whatever it was. The sharp snap of a twig was heard, and then---

Silence. And Legolas, not being able to see whatever it was behind him, was now left to wonder in fear how he would get out of this.