Chapter 7

"WHAT?!" the booming shout of the elf-king Thranduil echoed out. It was early summer, so his head was adorned in a crown of bright colored leaves and branches. Though he looked every bit as regal and breathtaking as a noble elf should, at this moment, he looked utterly terrifying to poor Adasser.

"I-" Adasser started, but quickly got interrupted.

"You mean to tell me that you left my son all alone with a horde of giant spiders?" The king's tone was cool and demeaning. Adasser gulped. Why, why did he have to be the one to break the news to Thranduil? It wasn't as if he had much other choice though. About half their patrol had been wounded in at least some way, and the others were currently trying to get reinforcements. There was a bit of chaos right now, and so naturally, that meant he had to be the one to try and fix it.

"Well it's not that simple! He-"

Thranduil shook his head. "I've heard this already. Legolas told you to go. But Adasser..." The elf-king suddenly sighed and waved his hand. His expression changed from a stone-cold one to an exhausted one. It then occurred to Adasser that perhaps Thranduil wasn't really angry...He was just concerned for the well-being of his only child and family member left. "How many years have you known Legolas now?"

Adasser was a bit taken aback by the question, but he was able to quickly answer. "Nearly all of my life, sire."

"So then...Wouldn't you agree that you would understand his personality well?"

"Er...Yes?" He could see where this was headed, and his heart suddenly dropped with guilt.

"Meaning," Thranduil continued, "That you know very well how stubborn and insistent he can be. You know that he often makes rash decisions with little time to think them through. And you know that intelligent and strong he may be, he is still very young in the eyes of our people?"

"Yes..."

"Whatever selfless reasons he may have had to give the command that he did, there is no excuse for leaving him behind like that. He may have authority over you and the rest of the patrol, but keep in mind that his safety also comes first. In other words, if Legolas doesn't come back from this in one piece...There will be dire consequences."

Adasser gulped again. Thranduil's expression had changed back to the harsh one. It amazed him honestly, how his king could go from being rather pleasant, to dreary, to aggressive all in the blink of an eye. While he had respected Thranduil for as long as he could remember, no one ever liked being on his bad side.

Yet suddenly, Adasser suddenly had the impression to say something. And he knew he could very well get in trouble for saying it, but he felt as though he must. So it took a bout of courage, but only moments later he uttered the words, "You're wrong."

Silence filled the room, and though it only lasted a few seconds, it felt like an eternity to Adasser, who promptly turned bright red in embarrassment. "I-I mean no disrespect, my Lord!" He quickly added. He forced himself to take a deep breath before continuing. This may have just been the most stressful moment of his life.

"Like I just stated, I've known Legolas for most of my life. And that being said, I trust his judgement. I know you worry for him, my King, as do I. But I also know that he is very intelligent and wise, and I have faith that he made the right decision."

Adasser felt Thranduil's eyes on him, and it was almost as if they were burning a hole into his soul. He started to fear what would happen as a consequence of what he just said. But then...

"You are right."

Adasser blinked. "Pardon, my Lord?"

Thranduil tilted his head ever so slightly. "My worry for Legolas blinded the fact that I do indeed trust his judgement. Forgive my previous words, and let us waste no further time in going after him. I have no doubt now that he made the right decision back there, but even so, he may still be in danger."

A slight smile came to Adasser's lips. "Of course, my Lord. I'll assemble a patrol at once to go search for him." And after he quickly bowed and exited the throne room, that's exactly what he went to do. They would find Legolas, he was sure of it. But in the meantime...Everyone here would just have to trust that he would be okay.