Chapter 6

"Legolas!" The blond elf stirred in his sleep, not noticing the urgent whisper directed towards him. "Legolas, wake up!"

"Mhm...What is it?" the elf muttered sleepily as he gazed at the young human in front of him, now pulled from his sleep.

"Are you fully awake?"

Legolas took a minute, but he nodded. As the fog from sleep was cleared from his mind, he suddenly became a lot more coherent and aware. It was then that he noticed the terrified expression on his new companion's face. "What is it?" He repeated, sitting up.  Only moments later did he realize that the effects of the spider venom were quickly wearing off now, and while his limbs still felt stiff, he could move. Which of course was great news, however, judging by the look on Estel's face, something was amiss. "Is something wrong?"

"I discovered a nest of giant spiders close to here. None of them noticed me, but I'd feel much better if we moved away from them for now," the human replied, an uneasy look on his face.

Legolas' face darkened. Not another nest. There were already so many elves risking their lives to destroy just one of them.  "How big is it? Could you tell?"

Aragorn looked hesitant and shrugged. "I'm not sure. I don't have any experience with these spiders, so I couldn't say if it was a small or large nest. But I did see quite a few spiders in there."

The elf was silent for a long moment. He hated to just leave that nest there for some other poor unfortunate souls to run into, and as both a prince and a warrior, he very much wanted to get rid of it. However, it wasn't dangerously close to any settlements, so it was fine for now. He'd just have to remember it's location for later then. "Very well," his reply came at last. "I agree, we should move on."

"How well are you able to move?"

"Enough.  Do not worry mellon-nin. If anything attacks, I shall be able to defend myself."

Aragorn felt warmed by the elf so readily calling him 'friend'.  He knew that elves did not use that term lightly, so Legolas must already trust him a lot if he was willing to call him that. 

"Good. And you're positive that you have no other injuries."

A sigh came from the elf, though a gentle smile was on his face. "Believe me, Estel, when I say that I've had enough experience with your father and brothers to know never to hide an injury from a healer.  I am fine. Really."

Aragorn let out a slight chuckle at that. He knew what Legolas meant, also having been subjected to the wrath of a healer before. "Alright, let us leave then." 

As Legolas slowly stood up, one hand against the tree, he noticed Aragorn eyeing him, as if making sure he would be able to move adequately.  Though once the elf was up and took his first few steps since he had gotten bit, the human looked more relaxed.  Legolas had temporarily lost his elven grace thanks to the stiffness still in his limbs, so his steps weren't silent and careful like they usually were.  Nevertheless, he and Estel treaded quietly and carefully through the forest, not wanting their presence to accidentally be made known by any spiders.

As the two of them walked, Legolas began to feel more and more like himself again. After a while, Aragorn turned to look at Legolas. "Being the expert here and all, how much further do you think we should trek until we are safe from the spiders? I don't want you straining yourself too much right now."

A gentle smile came to Legolas' face. "No need to worry, I feel fine Mellon-nin." There was a slight throbbing at the site where the spider had hit him, but that was of no concern, so Aragorn didn't need to know about it. "And I do hate to say it, but in this forest, there isn't really any safe places to rest. The forest is constantly at war with itself. Along with the spiders, orcs have also been known to roam in here."

Aragorn let out a soft sigh. "I thought as much. I have heard the rumors, after all." He eyed Legolas for a moment, checking for any signs of fatigue or other ailments. The elf was still walking a bit clumsier than Estel was sure he usually did, but that was to be expected. Besides, other than that, he appeared to be fine. "Very well, we can continue for now. But if I feel the need for you to stop and take a slight rest, we will."

"Ah...So be it then," came the reply of Legolas. It was only moments later that a smirk came to his face. "You know, you remind me much of your brothers and Lord Elrond right now."  He shook his head in an exasperated fashion. "All if you worry too much. I'm not an elfling you know." 

Aragorn laughed. "If you insist. Some of the stories I've heard from Elladan and Elrohir could suggest otherwise."

The elf's face flushed red. "Do not believe anything they've told you! Most of their tales are outdated. It's not as if they took place only days ago."

"How outdated, exactly?" Estel asked, a sly smirk slowly emerging on his face.

A frustrated groan emanated from Legolas. He wished that he could think of something to steer away from this conversation. He didn't exactly like where it was headed. The prince of Mirkwood stubbornly folded his arms and stuck his chin up slightly. He opened his mouth to make a snarky remark—but then instead found himself suddenly staggering forward.

Luckily, Aragorn quickly noticed, and with a gasp, caught ahold of the elf before he could hit the ground. "Legolas! Are you alright?" the human asked, his eyes widened in surprise.

Legolas quickly regained his posture and shot Aragorn a smile...One that seemed almost forced. "Yes, perfectly. I just tripped over a root, that's all."

"Right..." Only, there weren't any roots in sight that were near enough for Legolas to trip on. Something wasn't right about this, and Aragorn had a bad feeling, but he said nothing of it. He'd just have to keep a closer eye on the elf for now.

So they continued to go on, as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. Legolas has claimed to be fined after all. Was there any reason to doubt him? Not that Estel currently knew of. For better or for worse, the Silvan elf had his trust.  But if he acted strange in any other way...Well, then Aragorn would just force them to take a short break while he checked on his new companion.

There was no need to worry. Estel was a trained healer who knew more than most other humans.

So why did an uneasy feeling still linger within him? Aragorn wasn't sure.