Chapter Seventeen: Imperfection Revealed

Marcie's Point of View:

Standing in front of my mother, I am reminded of why I never even bothered to give her a second thought. She is still the same heartless woman that kicked me out of her house when I was pregnant. She's the same woman that I would never be good enough to please. 

"Marcie." She greets me coldly, and I pull my suitcase behind me. 

"Mum." I forced a smile, but it came out as a grimace. "How's dad?"

"Oh, naive little Marcie, your father is perfectly healthy. I just needed to get you here." She smirked at me evilly. 

I couldn't believe that she would lie about something as serious as this. I couldn't believe that she would stoop so low. Why would someone even consider telling their only daughter that her father is dying. Her father who she hasn't seen in years.

I thought back to the night before when Louis had told me about my father and how confused that it made me feel.

I walked into some overly posh restaurant, that reminds me of the Capitol from the Hunger Games, in a dress that I never would have picked out for myself with Louis on my arm. It was our first official date as I couple, and I could already hear the rumors take off like jet planes.

Once we are seated I tell Louis my opinion about the restaurant reminded me of my favorite movie, and he just replies with a cheeky 'May the odds be ever in your favor' causing to smile at him in contentment. When did things get so perfect between us? 

"What are you thinking about?" Louis asked after our waitress had brought us our food.

I hadn't even realized that I had just been staring into his blue eyes so lost in thought. He was sure to smirk at me when I snapped out of my trance. 

"How did I get so lucky, Lou? You're perfect. Lacey's perfect. The lads are perfect. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop." I was only half joking. The odds are never in my favor for very long.

"Look, Marcie, I'm about to drop it." He said weakly. He dropped his eyes to the table and refused to look at me.

"What's going on, Boo?" I asked growing more nervous by the seconds that passed.

"I don't want to be the one to tell you, but everyone thought you should hear it from me. Marcie, you're dad... He's really sick." He just blurts out, and we fall into an awkward silence.

My dad is really sick. What did that even mean? So he was going to die? I felt numb overall, and I felt like I didn't know how to feel. He may never have been the daddy that I had always wanted, but he was still my father. That had to count for something, right?

"How do you know that?" I croaked out, my words pushing past the growing lump in my throat.

"Your mum called my mum. They're in Greenland. You mum wanted to give you a chance to say goodbye if you wanted to." He said sheepishly.

There went my mood of perfection. My own mother couldn't even call me. She had to go around me and call Jay. For some reason, that hurt me a long more than it should have. 

"I should go then, I guess. I'll regret it later if I don't go." I decided with a sigh. I didn't want to hate myself a year from now for passing up this chance.

"I'll go with you." He offered instantly, but I just shook my head.

"You can't leave the lads, and Lacey will need you here, Plus, this is something that I need to do alone."  I threw out excuse after excuse, but really I didn't even want to think about what my mother would say to Louis if she ever saw him again.