Chapter 24

Storyteller

Jack paced the small hospital room. He was doing this for the last two days and he was almost wearing a hole in the floor. Bozer and Riley checked on him a few times, but he was always sending them back to the other injured team member, claiming that she needed the support of the team as well as Mac, but he couldn't leave this blue eye boy. He watched his back now for years and the one time he wasn't with him a bomb managed to go off. Suddenly the boy on the hospital bed started to stir and as Jack touched gently his arm he woke up. "Hey buddy. Everything is fine. You're in a hospital." Jack tried to calm Mac down, who started to get up, but cringed in pain and laid back. "How long was I out?" His voice was groggy and Jack handed him a glass of water. "Just for two days. You took a big blow." Mac's face went darker and he asked: "Where is Lucy?" Jack hoped that Mac's memory wouldn't come back for a few minutes. Lucy had more serious injuries than Mac. Suddenly his memory came back as a huge wave, hitting him hard. The explosion. Lucy's screams.

Mac's point of view

Lucy. That's all I could think of. "Where is she?" I asked Jack, but instead of getting an answer he just looked at me with a pitiful gaze. That means something really bad. "Where is she?" I asked him again and startled out of the hospital bed. "Whoa, buddy, take it easy." Jack held his hands up to stop me, but I wasn't even paying attention to my own pain. Everything I could think of was Lucy. She has to be ok. "Where is she? I need to see her." I was almost screaming and tried again to get up, but Jack held me down another time. "Mac. I need you to calm down." I stopped and focused on Jack's brown eyes. This upset look in his eyes, it just buried the worry deeper in my stomach." She's ok, isn't she? Please tell me that... That she is still alive." My voice squeaked at the end of this sentence. Jack sat down on a nearby chair and took a few deep breaths. "She's in critical condition. She has a few broken bones and had to go into surgery for a few internal bleedings. The doctors are thinking that most of this happened before the explosion, but getting thrown through the air wasn't helping her in her bad situation. She's gone through hell, Mac." I gulped as I heard this, tears were building up in my eyes. I'm going to kill this brother, this traitor. "Can you get me to her?" I asked and Jack's face went darker again. It seems like he hasn't told me everything. "Yes, but the doctors don't think that she'll wake up anytime soon." I needed to see her. She was everything to me. Tears tumbled down my face and Jack walked outside. Short time later he entered again with a wheelchair. Riley came also in, she helped me into it. I started to push me out that room, towards the ICU. Riley stopped me from entering Lucy's room: "Hey Mac. She doesn't look too good. It's going to be hard to take in. It's hard to see the person you love in pain." I ignored her warning, just entered the hospital room. It would have been better if I had listened to Riley's advice. Bozer held the hand of the frail girl who laid motionless in the bed, hooked to various machines. Her short brown hair was covered with a white bandage around her head. Her face was red and swollen, over and over with cuts and bruises. A large tube was down her throat and her right wrist was put in a cast. Any other injury was hidden by the blankets. I pushed myself over, so I could take her hand. "Can we be alone?" I asked my friends and they left the room in silence.

Storyteller

They walked out the room, making sure not to go too far. It was only a few moments until they heard Mac's light cries coming from the inside. Their hearts clenched for that boy. "Hey, Luce. It's me, Mac." His voice shook. "It was all my fault. I was so concerned about getting you safe out that room that I didn't scanned my surroundings. I was an EOD tech and I couldn't even see the bomb. It's all my fault." Jack walked towards that room, trying to tell Mac that it wasn't his fault, but Riley stopped him. "He wanted to be alone." Her voice cut though the silence between the little family standing in this hallway. "Luce? I know that our relationship was rough. I know that I'm not an easy person to date. But you accepted me and loved me anyways. You made me, me again after all. Please wake up and tell me that you are ok. I need you, Lucy. I love you." Mac pulled her hand up and mumbled 'I love you.' Through his cries. Bozer had to walk down the hallway, he couldn't hear his best friend going through that. Jack hugged Riley tight and she let out a few light cries for her two friends, who were suffering in there.

Mac's point of view

I held her hand on my cheek and cried more. I was supposed to give her everything but failed to do so. I'm an idiot.
Suddenly her hand started twitching and I looked at her through my teary eyes. I tried to see every move of her, and her eyes were rolling under her closed eyelids. "Jack. Jack!" Riley rushed with Jack inside and I pointed on the weak girl on the hospital bed, who showed the first signs of life in a while. Nurses rushed in, pulled me out of view and I was instructed to go out.
A few minutes people were rushing in and out. "Angus MacGyver?" a blond nurse walked out the room with an serious and professional expression on her face. I instantly got up, ignoring my pain. "That's me."

Lucy's point of view

Everything was black. Everything was painful. Something pushed me down and I tried to be strong enough. After a while I heard something. It was Mac. He was here. He was alive. I heard every word he told me and wanted to tell him the same thing. I tried to move, but I couldn't feel me. Everything was pain. Suddenly I could see something again. But I wasn't in my body, I could see me, or at least my body, laying on a hospital bed. It felt like I was a tiny grain of dust, flying through the air. The pain wasn't existent anymore. Am I dead?
Someone cried over me. It was Mac. The love of my life. I wanted to scream that I love him, that he did everything he could do to save me. All of sudden I was back in my darkness, in my pain. I tried to twist my hand, and it finally worked.
I felt that someone was lifting me up, but I could see me, my body, laying under me. It wasn't someone who lifted me up, it was my soul. I left.

———————————————————————————
Hey guys!!!

That was my final chapter. Thank you so much for reading my whole book, I hope you liked it. I wrote this fanfiction in two months and I feel just a little bit guilty to stop here. If you would like to read an alternative end, just write a comment and I'll do so. Again, thanks for reading.

Sophie Greater