Chapter 1: The Disappearance

Tuesday July 23rd, 2013

Gravity Falls, Oregon

The Pines were out for a family picnic. It was odd given they only did one 2 weeks earlier but the weather was just perfect.

"For the last time kid, not until after lunch" said Stan.

"But Grunkle Stan you don't know who hard it is to find the critter. If we start now, we may get lucky," replied Dipper.

He and Ford were planning to go looking for a rare lizard native only to the Gravity Falls area. But they had agreed to wait until after lunch. However, given how long Stan took to barbeque hamburgers, Dipper was beginning to worry that he may miss the chance to find them.

"Grunkle Ford come on you said it yourself. The Gastrope only appears at noon and it's already eleven thirty!" he yelled.

"I know Dipper, but we promised to stay and I owe Stanley after all for denting his car," Ford said.

"Yeah, if you saw the bill, you'd would be glad that I still have insurance on the old thing," Stan replied.

"But what if we miss or chance Grunkle Ford?" said Dipper, "Oh please, can we just at least try?" he begged.

"Well, I mean he has a point Stanley," said Ford, siding with the boy, "We may lose this opportunity if we stay for too long here. How about we take a quick hike and come back before you and Mabel start eating?"

Stan looked at Dipper who was basically begging him to say yes.

"Huh, fine!" he said, giving into Dipper's demand, "But if you two are not back within 5 minutes of me calling you, no adventuring for a week! You got it?"

The two nodded their heads and ran off.

Mabel arrived with the drinks from the car just as Ford and Dipper ran off.

"Let me guess, you let them go early, didn't you?" she said.

"Well, it was either that or hearing those two nerds talk about whatever lizard they're after for an hour," Stan said.

"Don't worry Grunkle Stan I'm sure that genuineness in them will pay off one day," said Mabel.

"I hope you mean with cash kid," said Stan, "At least you're normal. Well, sort of."

"I'm my own kind of person," replied Mabel, "And besides, you can't be an artist if you're always looking for lizards in the forest."

"Alright Picasso, why don't you help me get these burgers finished," said Stan laughing.

Mabel's innocence always put a smile on his face. He was lucky to have a niece as awesome and as loving as her.

----

Back in the forest Dipper and Ford had begun their search for the Gastrope.

"it's gotta be near," said Dipper.

"You're right. Perhaps it went that way," said Ford, pointing to a ravine.

"Or it could have gone towards that clearing over there," said Dipper, pointing to some lizard like footprints, "Maybe we should split up and hope one of us comes across it."

"Good idea," said Ford, "Yell if you find anything."

The two agreed and split up. Ford headed down towards the ravine while Dipper headed towards the clearing.

The walk was short but it looked like Ford may have been right. The lizard might have headed towards the ravine. With that in mind, Dipper started to head back.

The clearing he was in looked odd. It stuck out in the forest like an eye sore. It didn't seem like it belonged there. But Dipper did not notice.

As he walked back though, he began to feel the soil beneath him loosen up. It felt like he was walking in mud.

"What the heck? It hasn't rained in days," he thought to himself.

As he walked towards the treeline, the soil got looser and looser. He also began to notice the footprints he left behind were disappearing by themselves. It was weird, until finally...

The ground gave away beneath him.

Dipper watched as the ground affectively ate him up. He tried to scream for help but the soil had covered the hole up. He looked around to figure out where he was. It was an odd looking small cavern. He had no idea what it was or where he was. He tried to push the ground up but it did nothing. He tried screaming but they must have either fell to deaf ears or the hole was soundproofing him since no one heard his cries.

Dipper soon began to feel sleepy. His eye lids got heavier and heavier until he gave into sleep's waiting grasp.

He slept, and he slept.