Chapter 7: A Risky Solution

The sun rose the next morning on what would end up being, one insane day indeed. Dipper sat in the kitchen as Mabel was making breakfast.

"Geez," she said as she handed him his food, "Even after thirty years, you still hate coffee!"

"Well, unlike you, I didn't endure sleepless nights in art school where it was my one true friend," he replied.

"You know I was a coffee addict well before I lost you," said Mabel.

"I know," said Dipper as he took a bit of his bagel, "anyways...where's the twins?"

"Right here of course," said Mabel, laughing.

"Haha very funny," said Dipper, "I meant Daron and Mike."

"Oh, Soos took them into town to explore," replied Mabel.

"I thought you didn't want them to see Gravity Falls," said Dipper.

"I trust Soos," said Mabel, "I trusted him then and I do now. And besides, the kids love him."

The two sat in silence for a bit. The sound of the clock ticking being the only disturbance.

"So, what's next?"

"What?" asked Dipper.

"Well, you're back from wherever you disappeared to," said Mabel, "What are you going to do now?"

"I...I honestly don't know Mabel," replied Dipper, "Is there even a place for me in this world now?"

"Of course, there is Dipper!" yelled Mabel, "You...you're back now! You can finally have a life again!"

"Mabel, it's been thirty years!"

"So what?" she yelled, "Some people go missing and turn up after forty years and still reintegrate back into society!"

"But they'll be forty years older!" he yelled.

Mabel paused.

"I...I'm sorry Mabel but...I can't. Maybe if I was as old as you I could, but not in this state."

"But you said it yourself that you were as old as me last night!" yelled Mabel.

"That was an in the moment thing," he yelled, "Look at me Mabel! I'm still the Dipper Pines I was all those years ago. The Dipper Pines who has been legally dead for thirty years!"

"We...we can get that reversed!"

"Oh yeah?" he said, "But then when they ask why I'm still thirteen, what do I say?"

"Just use the aging sickness trick I used on Mike and Daron," said Mabel, "It could-"

Dipper put his hand on Mabel's shoulder.

"Mabel," he said, "It may work on them, but not on anyone else. I can't stay in Gravity Falls."

"Then come back home with me!" she begged, "Mom and dad would want you back! I...I could set up some adoption gimmick so everyone will think you're someone else."

"Mabel, you know that wouldn't work."

"I don't care!" she yelled again, "I want to help you. I...I can't lose my brother again!"

Dipper gave his sister a hug.

"I know you do Mabel," he said, "But there's no room in this world for me anymore. As far as it's concerned, Dipper Pines is dead. If I show up, they'll be questions. Soos told me a bit about how the world is now. I can't show up out of the blue. I'm stuck."