Chapter 10: Epilogue: The Past Never Dies

Gravity Falls, Oregon

July 15th, 2043

"Mike, wake up."

"Ugh, what do you want," said Mike in a daze.

His twin sister Daron was standing over his bed looking down.

"Remember what we talked about yesterday?" she said, "We were gonna go out into the woods and explore."

"But didn't mom tell us not to?" replied Mike.

"It's still early," said Daron, "If we hurry, we can go out, check out a bit of the forest, and get back before she wakes up."

"You're bad...I like that."

He quickly got dressed up and the two tip toed downstairs. The sun was still creeping up over the horizon as the two made it to the exit. They were about to leave, when...

"Mike and Daron Pines! What on Earth are you both doing?!"

The twins turned around and sure enough, Mabel stood there looking down at the two of them.

"We...uh, it's not what it looks like mom!" yelled Daron, "We were, just...uh-"

"We were gonna go check out the forest," said Mike. He covered is mouth immediately once he realized he wasn't supposed to say that.

"Nice save moron," whispered Daron.

Mabel sighed, "Now kids, what did I tell you?"

"Not to go out without your permission or supervision?" said the twins.

"No."

Daron and Mike looked on confused.

"Well...I mean, yes, I did tell you that. But I also said don't go outside without being fully prepared."

"But mom, you never said that?" said Daron.

"Oh, did I?"

"Uh, no. You didn't."

"Well, I'm saying it now," said Mabel, "I guess, what I'm trying to say is, I don't want to see you both cooped up in the shack for the remainder of our stay here. If you wanna go explore, with me, Soos, or heck, alone, go for it. That's what I always used to do."

"Are...you okay mom?" said Daron.

"So, you don't wanna go outside?"

"No, no!" the twins yelled.

"I thought so," said Mabel.

The three of them smiled as the twins ran over to hug their mother.

"Oh, that reminds me, I have something for both of you."

Mabel turned around and handed Mike something.

"Woah," he said, "Is this a-"

"Yup, it's a grappling hook," said Mabel, "It used to be mine. It saved my life on several occasions too. Might come in handy for you too."

"Oh, I thought it was an actual gun. Thanks, though mom," said Mike as he started pointing it around.

Mabel laughed, "Oh Mike, like I'd ever be dumb enough to give you an actual one. And Daron, this is for you."

Mabel handed her a blue book with a pine tree on it.

"Woah," she said, "What's this?"

"It's a journal," said Mabel, "When you're exploring the forest, you gotta keep track of what you see. You can keep all sorts of things in this. That way you'll never forget your adventures."