3

Driving around downtown was pretty boring, seen as I've looked at everything already, plus the horrendous amount of traffic there was at this time of day. Surprisingly, I wasn't too upset about what had just occurred in the apartment. Of course I felt like sobbing, and just wanted to turn my car into the oncoming traffic, but I've dealt with her before. I've dealt with the abuse. Maybe just not to the point where I'd get kicked out of the house. But I'm an adult, and it's a chance to start a new life for myself. A life where I have to start paying my own god damn bills.
————————
I pulled up to Mirina's apartment and knocked on the door. She is my one and only friend. I've known her since the stone age. She's my ride or die, and I'd never leave her. She opened the door and looked extremely tired. I plastered a concerned look on my face.

"Are you good?" I asked.

"Peyton and I just broke up." she said in a monotone voice. Her eyes had bags under them, her white t-shirt stained with chocolate ice cream and mascara. I gave her a long hug.

"Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. That's terrible." I was honestly shocked. They've been together since Mirina and I met back in 8th grade. That must be so awful on her end.

She snapped back to reality and shook her head. "Oh I'm sorry, come in."

At least her house was still cleaned. There was a few tubs of ice cream here and there, but you can't blame her. She went flop down on the couch as I started picking up some of the ice cream tubs around her house.

"So, what happened? If don't mind me asking."

She sighed. "I caught him with another girl. In our own bed." She sniffed. I looked at her from inside the kitchen with wide eyes after chucking two tubs of ice cream in the trash can.

"Holy shit, really?"

"Yes. And his only excuse was that I couldn't 'satisfy his needs.'" Her sniffs became more frequent, and then I knew she was crying. I went up to her and held her in my arms for a long time until she finally calmed down.

She sniffed once more. "It just hurts you know? But I've been busy trying to get over him anyway. There's actually someone here right now."

I looked at her with wide eyes.

"There's someone that you slept with in your bed right now?" I asked.

"Yup. I think I hear him getting up right now."

And sure enough, someone walks down the hall. He is decently tall, his curly black hair distracting me from studying the rest of him.

"Hi there. I'm Brian. It's nice to meet you!" He extended his hand for me to shake it, and I did.

"At least he has manners." I thought to myself.

"It's very nice to meet you, Brian. I assume you're not from here, are you?" I laughed. He had a cute little British accent.

"Huh, I wonder what gave it away!" He laughed. "But yes, I'm not from here. My band is playing a few gigs here in New Orleans, and I thought I'd have some fun while I'm at it, so here I am with Mirina!" He kisses her cheek.

"That's great! I'm glad you are both happy. What's your band's name?" I asked.

"Queen. Have you heard of it?"

I shook my head slightly before remembering the other British guy in front of me at the convenience store mention it to the cash register lady, and he was also British.

I changed my nodding to a nod of approval.

"Yes. There was another British guy talking about it in front of me at CVS. He had black, long hair. Oh, and he was buying cigarettes."

He laughed.

"You must've seen Freddie, our lead singer. Mirina, oh, by the way. Is it okay if the band comes here for a quick second? I swear they won't stay long. We just need a meeting spot to discuss a record deal we just got."

She nodded her head in delight.

"Of course! I'd love to meet them. Oh, Grace! You should stay too! While the boys talk, you never got to tell me why you came over. Sounds good?"

I smiled.

"That sounds great."