Water: Is it Wet?

Yes.

Water is wet.

Fight me.

I literally don't get why this has ever been a question.

Would you say that fire isn't burning?

Would you say that paint isn't wet?

No! Both of those describe their nouns. So why is water special? You can literally say, "Be careful, wet paint!" Paint is a liquid, just like water, so why is water not wet?

And I get that you might say that it's not wet because it makes things wet, it is not in itself wet because when something is wet it has a liquid on it or covering it. (which is hypocritical if you're calling paint wet!!!) However, that statement doesn't make any sense.

According to Merriam-Webster, wet in the context we are using it is "consisting of, containing, covered with, or soaked with liquid."

First off, I'd like to go back to the paint real quick because it's annoying me. If this definition means that water is not wet, it clearly states that paint is not wet either, the object with painr is wet, and the paint is merely the device by which it is wet. Therefore if you say that water is not wet, you must also say that something has "undried paint" not "wet paint".

Moving on, this definition clearly states four different conditions under which something can be defined as wet. We're going to start with soaked, because water is clearly not soaked with water.

Moving on, we're going to look at covered with. Now, this may sound like I'm stupid to you, but water is covered with water. No, not in the sense of water covering a pair of jeans. I'm talking about a molecular level. H2O molecules are linked together loosely by hydrogen "bonds" (I say "bonds" because that's what they're called but they're not actually bonds like you might see in a molecule). That means they move fluidly together, loosely tied together, and stacked on top of each other covering each other. "But that's not covering," I can hear you say. Well, in water there's more than just H2O, even in "purifed" bottled water. If you want to argue that H2O doesn't cover H2O in my example, then let me argue that pure water doesn't exist naturally, or at least for most people. Therefore if water is more than H2O molecules, there are other molecules that are part of what is considered "water" in the public's eyes, and those other elements are covered and surrounded by H2O molecules. If that's not covered with a liquid I don't know what is.

You're still arguing? Fine. I get it. You might have pure water and argue that water can not cover itself. Let's shut you up once and for all with the stupid water isn't wet argument. Let's look at the last (or technically first) two conditions that it could fall under. "Consisting of or containing...liquid". Excuse me, but water consists of and contains water, which is indeed a liquid at room temperature. You literally can't argue against that.

Water IS wet. Case closed. You can't convince me otherwise.