[18]

Walking down the familiar long road Brooke watched birds fly over her. Their wings flapped so hard as if they were racing to get to the big house before the others. She didn't blame them. Mrs. Davidson had water fountains and bird feeders everywhere. If she could be anything she would want to be a bird that lived in the big oak tree.

When she reached the sidewalk, she was careful not to touch any cracks as she looked around trying to find the familiar golden hair. She knew for a fact she would be outside.

Looking in the backyard Brooke smiled seeing her float from flower to flower. She seemed to dance when she was in her garden. Water flowing everywhere as she twirled and hummed.

Brooke had felt sad all day long. She received a test back that wasn't a perfect grade, her father called to tell her all the good things about his life, and she overheard some teachers talk about Casey and Lea being transferred to home school. They didn't even say goodbye.

All that hurt.

She didn't feel important to anyone.

But for some reason seeing Mrs. Davidson in this state of complete bliss made her feel better.

She knew that she was allowed to see a side of her teacher that no one else could see.

Brooke stood a little taller and tried to think of how to get her attention. She didn't want to seem nerdy or weird. Raising her head back up to watch the birds sing in the tree tops she gulped looking back down and seeing the tall woman leaning on a wall with a smile on her face. Her eyes talking for her as she searched Brooke's face.

Clearing her throat, the young girl walked into the grass and observed the new additions to her garden.

Mrs. Davidson raised an eyebrow, "How are you today?"

Nodding Brooke twirled her thumbs looking everywhere but the woman. "I'm alright. My dryer wasn't working correctly last night, so I had to hang my clothes on a homemade clothes line I hung through the house. That my clothes wrinkly so I had to stay up late to iron."

Smiling the blonde leaned her head on the wall, "You couldn't wait to do laundry?"

"Friday's are whites."

"Well of course."

"They had to be done."

"At fucking once."

Finally looking over Brooke let her lip curl up. "Casey and Lea left. I don't know where. They won't respond to me."

Tilting her head, the blonde sighed, "I heard. I'm sorry."

"I don't think they were very good friends, but I'm not sure. I never really had many friends growing up."

"Neither did I." Mrs. Davidson commented straightening out her oversized flannel. "People think I'm a bitch and they think your odd."

"But your not a B word at all."

Smirking the older woman rolled her eyes, "Well you're a little odd. "Glancing back at the girl's face she just felt her heart melt. The way her hazel eyes glimmered a green when the sun hit just right made her stomach tie in a knot and do a flip. There was no way around how tightly she was wrapped around this petite girl's fingers.

"I-" Brooke looked out at nothing and tried to find the words."I'm sorry about the other day I-"

"Hey no apologies." Getting closer to her Mrs. Davidson placed her hands on her shoulders and held her steady, "You did nothing wrong."

"I want to be with you I just I-" Brooke stumbled over her words until lips were pushed against hers. Mrs. Davidson's soft lips calmed her down like nothing else could. They were the perfect fit for hers when they were put together and they always tasted like something familiar.

Pulling away slightly Mrs. Davidson still held her delicately as they smiled at each other. They both wanted to speak, but nothing came out so they studied each other's face and listened to the sounds of sprinklers and birds in the background.

"I want to be with you but I'm-"

Interrupting her one last time Mrs. Davidson put a finger on Brooke's lips, "You don't have to make anything complicated, if you want to be with me let's hang out. There's nothing more to it."

"I don't think I would be able to handle you leaving me too."

The taller woman sighed seeing the hurt in her eyes and brought her close. She hugged her tightly and warmly until she felt there was no more pain left. "How about we learn more about each other hm? Go on a proper date if you will."

"I've never been on a date."

"Well," Bowing in front of the brunette Mrs. Davidson held her hand out."May I take thy fair lady for a ride in my automobile to retrieve what some may call...Fast food?"

"Only if we can sit in the garden to eat it." Brooke replied taking the woman's hand.

Doing exactly that Mrs. Davidson drove as carefully as she ever did. She didn't want to make Brooke stop talking for anything. She learned her favorite movies were anything animated and she absolutely loved foreign foods. She never thought a girl of so many habits would be so willing to try any sort of food she could. That must be something she truly did learn from her father.

And the 80's. Brooke loved 80's music. That made her laugh.

"My dad said my mom always looked at the stars. Even on nights when you could barely see them. He said even in cloudy nights she would look up and smile."

Laying out the blanket the older woman didn't say anything.

"Sometimes I look up and wonder if she's looking at the same sky I am."

Sitting down Mrs. Davidson took off her shoes and started laying out the food. "Do you ever think about reaching out to her?"

"I did a couple of years ago." Brooke admitted straightening out the ends of the blanket and wiping away the wrinkles. "I still don't know where she is or who she is really but she doesn't want to know me either. I'm not mad about it anymore."

Eating a fry Mrs. Davidson nodded and watched her set her food up in a proper line. "Does it make you sad?"

"A little yes,"

"Both of my parents were around, but they weren't very good people so maybe I would have preferred to have not known them."

Brooke clenched her jaw in thought. "Do you still talk to them?"

"No."

"Do you have siblings?"

"No."

"Any family?"

"An uncle in Ohio that drank a lot, he was nice though."

"What about Jerry?"

That took her for surprise. "He has a sister. She has two kids. Both demon children. His parents never liked me, and I never liked them."

"Did you love him once?"

Mrs. Davidson ate some more fries to buy her some time. Not because she didn't want to answer the question but because she didn't know.

"I mean he seems to still love you."

Laying down on her side and propping her head up she finally shook her head. "I don't think I ever did."

"Then why marry him?" Brooke asked using a fork to dip her chicken nuggets in barbecue sauce.

"He was rich."

Taking a sip of her drink Brooke widened her eyes, "wow."

"Maybe I am a bitch."

"A little."

Smiling the blonde watched her set her food down. "What are you doing?"

Crawling over to her Brooke kissed her lips roughly and laid on top of the woman surprising them both.

"Brooke!" Mrs. Davidson laughed pulling away. "What the hell?"

"What did I do?" She asked genuinely concerned she did something wrong.

Shaking her head, the blonde pulled her back in and flipped her over, so she could hold her as they kissed.