15

They were chasing her. They were infected and crazed, their eyes were filled with black hatred as they ran after her down the palace hallways. Panting, her eyes searched wildly down the familiar oppressing hallways for an escape, her bare feet making loud thumps against the carpeted floor. Reaching the end of the hall, Ahzma's hands shook uncontrollably against the door's handle as she heard their vicious taunts and yelling echoing off the walls. Falling into her room, the familiar surroundings made her heart drop in her chest. This was not where she belonged anymore, why was she here. Running to the window, she swiped back the curtains and stared at the empty night sky. Rakkah had left her here. Below her, the city was burning to the ground as thousands of nightmarish aliens with black wet skin crawled along the walls and streets, feasting on anyone still left alive. The door began to rattle. On the other side, her brothers' voices cursed at her at the top of their lungs, telling her how they could not wait until the alien offspring would tear from their stomachs and burrow itself into hers. Ahzma's chest heaved as she inhaled deep ragged pulls of air, she was going to die. Shaking violently, she crouched into the corner of her room and watched with tears clouding her eyes until the door finally gave out. A scream bubbled in her throat just as something warm wrapped around her middle pulling her into a greater warmth.

Reverberating through her bones and out towards her brothers, the blessedly familiar growl stopped them in their tracks. Everything paused in place at the silent command, even her frantic mind. Desperate for more, Ahzma turned into the source of heat and buried her face into the tough hide. Her hands smoothed over the large solid rise of muscle hardened flesh with a craving sense of urgency. Her heart rate slowly settled from its rampage and she pulled away from the nightmarish scenes in her mind completely, until she knew exactly where she was.

Their room was dark, the large windows that surrounded most of their bedroom were completely shuttered. Blinking in the darkness, Ahzma sighed in relief at the heavy weight of Rakkah's arm settled over her back. Halfway laying on his bicep and chest, she tried to glance up towards his face. From her angle she couldn't see anything. If he was awake, she would only be able to see the glow of his golden eyes if she lifted a bit for a better angle. But then again he could be asleep, though it seemed unlikely. He had told her Yautja only need three to four hours of sleep a night.

It didn't matter though, she was just relieved to be awake from that dream. She wasn't abandoned on that planet of monsters, she was perfectly safe here with Rakkah. Tightening her hold around him, Ahzma closed her eyes to the memories of pain and loneliness she endured for so long. It still seemed so unreal she was here. Rakkah had told her he only wanted her for the purpose of breeding, but all the things he had done for her didn't seem to support that as his sole cause. He went out of his way to bring her people freedom, to show her pleasure, to bring her comfort from her dreams, and introduce her to his world. Everything he did felt like more than just duty, it felt deeper than just obligation. It felt like something she had only ever dreamed about.

She could feel the change in his relaxed steady breathing once the tears slid down her face. Rakkah could always smell her tears. Smiling, she pressed herself fully to the length of his body and stroked against the grooved muscles of his abs. With her ear pressed into the side of his chest she could hear the deep rhythmic working of his heart. The sound was unlike anything she could have imagined, so strong and even, each beat felt like the pulses of a bright red sun sitting at the center of a starry galaxy.

Happy and content for the first time in her life, Ahzma whispered. "I love you Rakkah"

There was a moment of unnatural stillness from her mate before a deep rumbling growl left his chest. To Ahzma it felt and sounded like a sigh, but she could not be sure, she only focused on his arm tightening around her, pulling her flush against him.