Chapter Two

"How was your day my dear?" Julien asks as he takes a seat on the end of our bed. I brush my hair contently on my vanity, looking at Julien through the mirror.

"Well, it was quite eventful if I do say so. I got a pretty alarming reaction from the men today." I say, absentmindedly brushing out my curls. I hear Julien sigh, watching him shake his head. I slam my brush down and scrunch my nose up in anger.

"Angelina, you must keep quiet around the men. They aren't as progressive as André or even that foot soldier Beauchamp. These men have a particular view on how a lady in your station should conduct herself." He says, looking at me. I stand and turn to begin to tug on my corset strings angrily.

"I simply stated the simple facts of human life Julien. That is all I did. Am I supposed to keep my mouth shut and not defend humanity? I don't believe I could do such a thing." I say, still having trouble with my corset. I hear Julien take a few steps closer to me, then I feel his fingers move mine, finishing untying the strings of my corset.

"I do not wish you to quiet yourself of the opinions you hold close to your heart, I simply want you to be cautious of who you say your piece in front of. It is simply a matter of safety, nothing more." He says, taking a final tug to loosen my corset completely. I hold it to my chest and turn to look at him.

"Why don't you take a stance? I know you feel the same way about this war that I do, yet you stay quiet. Why is that?" I question him, deeply wanting to know the answer.

"I'm looking towards the future when this war is over, the British become brothers of commerce and trade. If I take a distinct stand in either direction, then I condemn us to ruin. I am a lawyer, I am on the side of the law, my dear. No matter what I feel about the issue in my heart, I just think with my head." He says, looking down at me with what look to be condescending eyes. He sometimes can treat me like a mere child, a child that knows nothing of the world and it deepens my annoyance of that flaw.

"Julien, good things come from listening to the heart. The French wouldn't have come to power, neither would the British. We are already thought of as traitors to the British crown, so why not state it out clearly? This war is nonsense and the right cause hangs with the Americans Julien and you know it!" I ramble on, growing angrier by the moment.

"Angel, quiet! You know not when to stop! We are not traitors, do you understand? We are citizens of the British-American colonies. We are under British rule, therefore, we are now British subjects, whether you like it or not. You speak treason and you will get yourself killed if anyone in this house finds out that you feel in such a patriotic way." Julien says, lowering his voice quickly to make sure no one hears.

"You will not get us killed because you don't know how to stop running your mouth."

"If someone is getting us killed, it is you. You won't state how you truly feel and you are being a coward. I married a coward." I say through clenched teeth. Julien scoffs and grabs his coat, swiftly putting it on.

"And I married a so-called "Angel". Oh, how they are wrong, you are anything but." He retorts back before walking out, slamming the bedroom door behind him. I huff in frustration and throw my corset on the floor, leaving me in only my underdress.

I turn and look at myself in the mirror, studying my face. Was he right? Was I no longer the angel I so strongly held onto in times of crisis? Yes, my opinion on the war is something that does not sit well with others, but that is not something that should be hidden in my marriage. I know Julien and I know how he sees the world. He is observant and very thoughtful before he makes a decision. He is a lawyer and that is how his mind has always worked, even when we were children, but the fact that he won't admit it to me is what hurts the most.