Chapter Eleven

I was once again awakened by the sound of commotion coming from outside my tent. I groan as I rip myself from the warmth of my bundle to see for myself what the fuss was. I drape Ben's cloak around my shoulders and slip on the heels I once had on for the ball. I pull the tent flap back and see a sort of makeshift bonfire burning in the middle of the encampment. There are a couple of young officers that are yelling, but I fully do not comprehend the subject of the fight until I hear Ben speak out.

"You will not talk about a distinguished young woman like that, do you understand? She is a greater asset to this war than you ever will be!" He yells. Cullen and Hamilton are behind Ben, cautiously looking on as Caleb tries to pull Ben away.

"If you were on the field and not playing with your whore pipe, then maybe you would realize that Washington needs soldiers, not pretty women that will satisfy your needs Major!" One of the men yell. I suck in a breath and ponder a response, but I gasp instead as I watch Ben hit the man who insulted him. The rest of the men quickly follow their respective friends and soon there is an all-out brawl happening. I rush to Ben, seeing him on the ground. I grab him from behind and pull him away with all my might.

"Stop this, all of you!" I yell, grabbing the attention of them all. I stand between Ben and the man he was fighting, keeping him at a distance.

"Do not descend into this...this savage behavior! You are gentlemen who fight with Washington, not some mercenaries that fight for nothing but glory! You are better than this!" I plea with them.

"We are better than that, yet somehow Major Tallmadge finds himself in need of a small company to rescue his whore from a ball in the middle of the god damn British controlled south!" the soldier retorts back at me. I lick my lips and looks at the men quickly, trying to think of a response.

"Angel, you do not have to say anything to this insubordinate piece of shite. You owe him nothing." Ben says, grabbing my arm.

"No, I owe him everything." I say, pulling my arm away from Ben's grip.

"You and your men risked your life to save me today sir, and I am forever in your debt. You may be confused as to why you rescued me, but I assure you that the pretenses on which you came here are true and good. I am a spy for Washington, but I do have a past that has intertwined me with some dangerous people. I fought with all my strength to fight this evil off, but he was too strong. Without you and the major, I would have been dead and my work would have died with it." I confess to the men, now fully giving me their attention.

"Oui, it's true. I saw first-hand what her help could bring us. Washington is confident that she could bring about the end of the war. I dinna know it to be her until Benny boy told me it was her. The Angel of the Revolution as Washington calls her. If Washington believes in her, then I'll be damned if she's not the one to help us defeat ole King George." Caleb says, taking a spot next to me. I nod at him, thanking him for his words.

"Right now, this army does not need division. It needs unification under the belief that this cause is worth everything. I was tired of seeing New York crawling with dishonorable men they called soldiers. I risk my life, as well as the life of my husband, to bring knowledge from places normal spies wouldn't have access to. I am using my gift of position to help bring down those who want to use it to dominate instead of help. It will take time to gain your trust, I realize that, but know that you did not risk your life in vain today." I say, looking at each and every one of the men that stood before me. Those words seemed to come from someone other than me, for after I was done speaking, I barely had a clue of what I even said. The soldier who fought Ben spat his tobacco to the side and rested his hands on her hips.

"If you are the women, the Angel of the Revolution, that Washington speaks so highly of, then why risk us, hu? Washington needs military information, not no social garbage." He spits out at me.