Chapter Ten

Leaving is always the hardest part of anything in life. Whether it be leaving the only home you have ever known or leaving your loved ones behind, it never gets any easier.

"You have all that you need, travel passes and letters of introduction," Ben says as Cullen and I gather the last-minute things into the carriage. Cullen had received a letter from André a few days ago, summoning him back to the ranks while also allowing me a safe haven in his camp.

"Then we are ready to go whenever you are ready Madame Angelina," Cullen says, bowing his head gently to me. I nod and wipe my palms on the front of my dress, giving the camp one last look around.

"Don't you worry Angel, everything will be here when you return." I hear Hamilton say from a distance. I couldn't help but let my lips tug into a huge smile. I had grown fond of the people in the ring in the short period I knew them. After all, we were risking our lives for one another.

Hamilton reaches me and offers me a bow. I laugh at his formalities and wrap my arms around him tightly.

"You will stay out of trouble while I am gone, yes? I do not want Eliza to write to me about your conquests." I say, giving him a stern, motherly type look. Hamilton just laughs in response and kisses my cheek.

"I don't have to the slightest idea of what you mean, my dear." He says. I see Eliza walking out from her tent, coming towards us.

"You know exactly what she means, so don't you dare try to play dumb." She says, moving in front of him and smiling at me.

"So today is the day I lose my greatest friend?" she asks a glimmer of sadness in her eyes. Even though we had a rough beginning, we have become fast friends. I hug her and pout a little.

"I will not be gone for long, soon we shall be reunited. I am terribly sorry that I have to leave you with this band of boys, but I know you will manage." I say, pulling away from her and holding her by the shoulders, looking at the boys behind us. She lets out a laugh and looks behind her as well. All the boys were watching as we said goodbye as if this was the last time any of us would see each other.

"We will all be reunited, I promise you that Eliza," I say in all sincerity. My eye catches movement from the tent farthest away from me and sees Ben helping Julien out of the tent. My heart flutters at the almost unbelievable sight. Eliza lets me go and I rush over to Julien, throwing my arms around him. I hear him grunt as he wraps his arms around me tightly,

"Oh, dear lord, I'm sorry! I hurt you, didn't I?" I asked concerned, trying to move away to see what damage I'd done. Julien doesn't let me go but tightens his grip on me.

"Don't you dare leave my arms. I am not ready to let you go." He mumbles between us, rubbing circles on the small of my back. His voice was stern, yet I melted at the sound. I simply nod and hide my face in his chest. We stay like that for what seems like an eternity, but I do not object. We have had to say goodbye many times before, yet this one felt different.

"I will be back, you do know that?" I ask, whispering against his cheek. He pulls away from me a little and holds my face in his hands, nodding.

"Yes, I know. It is just...I love you, Angel. Please for heaven's sake, stay close to Cullen and André." He says, kissing my head gently.

"Of course, I will Julien. Promise me that you will not do anything drastic while I am gone. I do not want that wound of yours to get worse while I am away." I say, holding his chin with my thumb. A smirk emerges on his lips and he nods at my command.