03

𝒲illiam pulled the dusty blankets closer to his shivering body, he was drained, cold and ashamed

Michael and Rosa had helped him back into the apartment, the Captain made sure the boy was covered in blankets. He did ask about his parents, getting worried the boy was living alone. William wanted them gone, saying his older brother was going to be home soon. He didn't want Rosa to pay too much attention to his apartment, it was dirty, old, cheap and definitely not tidy.

William was stuck in another coughing fit as he buried his face into the mattress, clutching the pillow in his trembling fingers. He licked his dry lips, closing his soft, baby blue eyes as he hopes to fall asleep. However, the shivering was keeping him up. He was freezing, despite having told captain Carter he was warm after a change of clothes.

William tries to keep his mouth shut, hoping it would stop the chattering of his teeth. His hair was a mess as it still smelt of the dirty water.

He squeezed his eyes shut, the sunlight hurting his eyes and giving him a dull headache.

The apartment was still, the specs of dust flying in the air, visible against the warm sunrays that shone through the dirty windows. Even the streak of sunlight that shone on William didn't keep him warm.

In fact, he seemed to get colder and colder. He hated cold. He hated the way it slowly crept up his fingertips, toes, and spine, like poison. He sneezed, the blanket sliding off his shoulders slightly, he pulled it back immediately, unable to stop the shaking.

The front door was pushed open, he could hear his brothers quiet voice and Bucky's soft laughter as they entered the living room.
William was too tired to look up, he simply stared the opposite wall.

He was laying on the mattress that was in the living room, they didn't have any quests except Bucky, so the brothers didn't have to hide the fact that the apartment was so small. Bucky was like family. He didn't judge.

"Hey, punk, since when do you take naps in the middle of the day?" Bucky asked with the same, amused tone as Steve went to the kitchen, stocking up the cupboards. William didn't answer, he would have if it wasn't for the chattering of his teeth. He was afraid to bit his tongue, he was just so cold.

Bucky stopped chuckling, turning serious as he took in the kid laying under the covers. "William? Are you okay? Hey, Will?" Steve had stopped whatever he had been doing as he pushed past Bucky, concern all over his face as he slid his eyes over the boy. "Shit, is he sick? Hurt?" Bucky asked, shaking off his overcoat and placing it over William, knowing fully well the blankets in Rogers' household were thin as paper. "watch your language, Buck. William? Why..." Steve's eyes landed on the pile of wet clothes, he picked them up, they were soaked through.

"What happened?" Steve asked, looking the way his brother shook madly. He mumbled nothing in between his chattering teeth, having difficulties with pronouncing the words. "Hey, Steve, I'll bring some firewood from the basement, I think it's time you finally use that fireplace."

As Bucky left hastily, Steve fell on his knees before William, gently tugging Bucky's overcoat and the blanket off him. The boy tried to pull them back up as he hated cold, but Steve hushed him. "I'm just making sure you're not injured, okay?" The older Rogers said gently, making sure his brother was hiding no injuries, big or small.

Steve was concerned, they had no money for a doctor and definitely not a penny for medicine. It wasn't a rare occasion when a child would get sick and die. In fact, it was common, especially among the lower class folks.

Steve knew a thing or two how to cure a fewer, he just hoped it was enough. It had to be.

Bucky made fire and washed Williams wet clothes, trying to get answers out of the shaking kid under the thin blankets. Steve was wiping the sweat off Williams forehead and face, trying to cool him off a little.

Bucky sat on the floor next to the mattress, leaning against the kid's legs as he read over the formal letter.

He was going to do it, but was it a good idea to let the brothers know now? Definitely not. He had a little more time.

He flashed his concerned eyes over sleeping Will, hiding the letter into his pocket as he wiped the boys face with cold water again. "You should go home, Buck. I've got it." Steve said, pouring milk as he eyed up the four cookies laying on the kitchen table suspiciously, he knew only one woman who made these for them.

"You know it's going to be a long night." Steve looked unamused, even though touched by Bucky's will to stay and watch over the young Rogers, Steve wanted to be the one to take care of him. "Go, Buck, we'll be fine. He's a tough kid. I can recall when he got caught by your aunt for stealing all the blue candies from your candy jar. When he lived through this, he can handle a simple fever." Bucky looked troubled, pushing himself up with a tired sigh. "I guess I'll write to Rebecca, ask how her studies are going. Want me to mention something?" Bucky asked with a teasing smile. He grinned as he realized the tips of Steve's ears were turning red. He had always tried to steer Rebecca and Steve in the same direction. Apparently, Steve was just too damn shy for his outgoing sister.

"Just, uh, mention that I'm happy for her, for doing something she enjoys, that's all." Steve glared at his best friend, who he was pushing out the door. "Well, I might mention some things, for example when she comes back, you two coul-" "Bucky, no."

"Bucky, yes."

Steve rolled his blue eyes as he watched the cheeky man disappear, giving one last shout of 'I'll tell her you'll be right here waitin' for her!' in the darkness. Steve gently closed the door, gulping as he hoped Bucky was merely joking. Sure Rebecca was a gorgeous woman, but then again, Steve hadn't met any ugly women in his life. It's just that, Bucky's sister was so energetic and loud.

Steve turned back towards his little brother, frowning at the amount of sweat covering his whole face. William's face was white as a sheet, and that alone made his insides churn in uneasiness. He wasn't used to seeing his snarky brother so helpless.

That night Steve kept a close eye on him, washing the sweat from his face and keeping a cold cloth over his head. He wasn't sure what exactly made his brother so wet, but all he could think was that he must have fallen into the river.

Had anyone pushed him? Was he now bullied too? Did he walk all the way from Brooklyn Bridge to their apartment alone? Did anyone help him? The questions swirled in the man's mind the whole night, in the early morning hours, Steve's head had lulled back, he fell asleep against the wall as first rays of morning sun touched the ground of New York.

( credits to gif master oakenshield_)