II - Home

"Ah, yes... here we are. Welcome to your new home."

After navigating through a seemingly endless amount of hallways and large rooms, King Dexter leads me to a large, black door. My last name is printed on the front of the door in what looks to be gold.

"Place your hand on the small monitor to the right, and you will be granted access."

"How did you get my handprint?"

"You really do underestimate this government, don't you, Ms. Vance?" He shakes his head.

I place my hand on the screen to the right of the large black door and sure enough, the doors quickly separate. I try my best not to let my jaw drop to the floor.

Similar to the rest of this incredibly-decorated castle, this room... my room, is no different. There is a small living room to the left, with long, elegant couches and a furry, white rug underneath. A beautiful chandelier that matches the ones in the rest of the castle hangs from the high ceiling, just above the bed.

The bed...

It is placed on top of some futuristic-looking platform, and is the biggest bed I have ever seen. I am pretty sure ten people could sleep in it comfortably and have plenty of room. Next to the living room is a kitchen. It is... shiny... that is the only word I can think of at the moment. I am flabbergasted. This cannot be real.

"This is all for me?"

"Yes. A personal chef will come and prepare breakfast for you, and a packed lunch for your day. When you return, they will prepare dinner for you as well, of course. To the right of your bed is a monitor in which you should feel free to use at your leisure. You can video chat your parents straight from their home monitor, and, at your request, I can have any friends monitors set up that you would like to be in contact with as well."

"You mean... I have my own monitor?"

"Yes. I have had my servants place all of your belongings from your childhood home into your living room. Feel free to place them where you wish."

"I... I don't know what to say."

"Ms. Vance, I know this is a lot to take in. I would not have had all of this set up if I didn't have full confidence in you and your ability to help this territory. I want you to let me know if there is anything I can do for you as time goes on, as well."

"Thank you... King Dexter."

"I expect exceptional work from you, Ms. Vance. I will come by in the morning with your instructions for your first day as a Hunter. I know you will be prepared."

He walks towards the door.

"Get some rest, Ms. Vance."

As soon as the doors close behind him and I am finally to myself, I crash down on the gigantic bed I have been given and try to take in all that is happening.

I had known about the severity of the decline in humans because of King Dexter's daily reports that we see every morning on our home monitors, but I had no idea that I would somehow be the solution. What if I am unable to do what King Dexter believes so confidently that I can do, and I let everyone down? The thought of letting the human ruler down or not meeting his expectations makes me sick to my stomach. I have never failed anyone or anything, as King Dexter said earlier. I have always been at the top of my class in every subject, and I don't plan on messing that up, now.

King Dexter knows what is best, after all. He knows that I can do this, therefore I have to at least try and believe that I can. My entire life I have never accepted anything but greatness from myself, and I am not stopping that now.

Whatever happened today definitely isn't normal... nobody ever meets King Dexter unless it is an absolute emergency, such as discovering information about The Beyond. But, I guess this is my normal, now.

I mean to try out my own personal monitor and video call my parents, but I fall asleep before I am able to do so.