Chapter 4: Family Line

One week later………..

Yesterday, I received mail from a friend who had already graduated from Ilvermorny. She was able to find Beth Smith’s wedding record. Beth’s parents were William Masta and Jane Myers. I tried to look into William without success. It made me think about the diaries. 

Today, I was talking to Mr. Crammer about having access to the founder’s diaries. “That would be alright. Since you are in your sixth year, you don’t need a note to have access them. You will need to be seated with my supervision though,” he told me. 

“Alright,” I said to him. “Is there a specific time you need?” he asked me. He knew that I was researching about Beth Smith.  “Um…Maybe the last several years of Isolt Steward’s life. My ancestor William lived from 1685 to 1754,” I told him. 

“Hm…that sound about a good time. They found did live past a hundred years,” he told me before he disappeared into the restricted archives. I sat down in the designated area and took out my research of my family.

Soon, Mr. Crammer delivered the diaries. Surprisingly, they were in very good condition. “Here you go. If you need anything else, just ask,” he told me. “Thank you sir,” I said and opened the first diary that was dated 1685-1670.

Reading the diaries, I found some things very interesting. It talked a lot about Isolt’s role as headmistress and her family. Her daughter Rionach was a professor in Defense Against the Dark Arts. It appeared that Rionach was a twin. Little was written on her until I saw something.

September 28, 1685

I had just received news that John’s wife had given birth to a boy. His name is William Masta. It makes me wonder if he will grow up having to know magic. I wish to meet him but, I know that Martha doesn’t want me involved in her family’s life right now.

Finally, my great grandson is born. I don’t have an idea if he will have magic. John didn’t have magic. I hope in the future, magic will appear in his line of the family. I feel hurt to know that she felt left out in the magic world. I couldn’t help to feel that I was responsible.

{Wait….William….this William is my ancestor? That’s means….}

I continued to read the entry and the whole diary to confirm my thoughts. The more I read, the more emotions that I felt. I spent my Saturday morning reading the diaries.

“Miss Rochelle.”

I looked up to see Mr. Crammer. “It’s time for lunch,” he told me. {Really?} When I looked at the clock, I realized that he was right. “I was so busy reading that I didn’t …” Mr. Crammer gave me a smile. “It’s alright. Find anything useful?” he asked me. 

“Yes. Is it possible to get copies of some of the pages?” I asked him. “Certainly. Which pages,” he asked me. I showed him the pages and he casted a spell to make copies. “I might come back to look at the other diaries,” I told him.

“No problem. Just make sure that you ask me,” he told me. I gave him a nod and walked out of the library. I couldn’t shake the idea that I was descended from Isolt Steward.

I walked not the great hall and sat down in a seat. I had a sandwich and some water for my lunch. Carmen looked at the papers in my hands. “Did you find something in the diaries?” she asked me. I gave her a nod.