"I love you."

I sat and listened to the EKG machine. It let out a single beep every two seconds reassuring me my best friend was still breathing.

I stared at Ryan who was lying peacefully in the hospital bed. I buried my face in my hand's and prayed that he'd wake up.

I found myself replaying that moment over and over again in my head.

I could still hear Ryan's blood curdling screams. He had seen something. Something awful and traumatizing.

"Shane?" Ryan whispers.

I popped my head up almost instantaneously and ran to him. I'm here Ryan.

"Shane." He says again.

I watched as his head turned towards me. Tears strolled down his face. After a long silence he whispered.

"It hurt."

What? What hurt?

As I listened to him talk I noticed his voice trembling. He could only use small words and sentences.

"I was so scared.... It was so dark.
Shane!" He cried out.

Buddy I'm right here! I grabbed his hand and tried to calm him down. Ryan I'm here. Your safe now.

"Will you stay until I fall asleep?" He asks me calmingly.

Of course! I'm not going anywhere.

I glanced at the clock and noticed it was 4am.

I might as well try to get some sleep. I took a seat in the hospital chair and moved closer to Ryan so that my arms were touching him. I shifted for what felt like forever trying to get comfy in the awful wooden chair.

My eyes started closing and my body was finally relaxing when I heard it.

"AH!"

I stood up to see my best friend sitting straight up and gasping for his life. Ryan! Ryan! Hey chill out man. Calm down. He looked around and slowly started to relax.

"I'm scared to be alone." He says.

Do, do you want me to lay with you? I say half kidding.

"Will you?" He asks, looking me dead in the eyes.

I was kind of shocked he took me seriously. I climbed on the bed and layed behind him. He moved closer and wrapped his arms around my stomach and fell fast alseep.

I can't believe it, he has total trust in me. I just wish I could tell him how I feel.

My head began aching and my eyelids became heavy.

I will always be here to protect you. I layed my head down and fell asleep.

~~~~2 days later~~~~

I led Ryan out of the hospital and to my car. Every little thing shook him. A car alarm, a cellphone ringing, even keys jingling.

He started talking normally again, but I put off asking any question that could possibly trigger a panic attack.

When got to a red light my curiousness overtook me and I decided to go for it.

Ryan what happened at the penitentiary?

He looked at his hands. There was a long silence before he raised his head and spoke.

" When you walked out..... I...I got scared so I decided to open the door. But ....it wouldn't move. I pulled it over and over! It wouldn't budge! I was stuck! Then the lights went out! That's when I saw it. A shadowy black figure! It stepped out from the wall. "

He stopped talking and his breathing worsened.

" I saw things! I saw horrifying visions. Faces of people! I was so scared!! I could feel the pain of the prisoners coursing through my veins! I called out your name, but you weren't there! I was all alone! It was hurting me! "He explains, crying.

Ryan I came as fast as I could! I would never leave you in there intentionally. you know that right?

"I know."

Ryan I'm so sorry. I should never have left you in there.

" Don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault, besides I'm the one who told you to grab the batteries."

We sat in silence for the rest of the drive until I pulled onto Ryan's street.

"Where are we going?"

I figured you'd want to go home so I---

" No! Shane Please Don't take me home! I don't want to be alone!" He shouts nervously at me.

No! No! I won't, we can.....

I searched my mind for words and in a desperate attempt to calm him I offered up my apartment.

He shook his head in agreement and we continued driving.

Once we arrived, I got his bag out and closed the trunk. He climbed out nervously and peered around like a deer in headlights. He started looking around as if searching for something in the dark. He started panting loudly as a semi-truck rushed by leaving Ryan crouched on the ground covering his eyes. I ran to him and helped him up.

"I'm... I'm sorry! I thought I saw--- Please don't be mad I----" He started crying.

Ryan. I'm not mad at you. He buried his head in my chest and wrapped his arms around me. It set me back a little. He had never really hugged me before.

It's okay... Its okay.. I'm not mad at you. He sobbed in my chest, as I rubbed his back in little circles until he was calmed down enough to go inside.