Epilogue

A/N hell yeah here's the epilogue, which I finally got round to writing. Enjoy!

Slowly, I became aware of the soft, white sheets which enveloped me, and blinked open my crusty eyes. I groaned at the harsh light that assaulted my vision, before being attacked again by a sharp shout from across the room.

"Peter!" a masculine voice shouted. "Peter, they're awake!"

As I adjusted to the white room, I realised I was in a hospital bed, in an infirmary I didn't recognise. The man walked into my line of vision. He had greying hair and soft laugh creases around his eyes. His green eyes twinkled at me as he introduced himself as Dr. Banner.

"Your buddy, Peter, will be here in a minute. I hope you're comfortable – could I offer you a glass of water?"

My dry throat sounded a confirmation as he left again, only after being walked into by a brown haired teen.

"Sorry Mr-Dr Banner, sir!" The doctor chuckled at his awkwardness.

"No problem, Peter."

My best friend approached my bed fast, quickly bending down to eye level by my head.

"You burnt yourself out a little out there," he began. I smiled back at him.

"How long was I out for?"

"Only a day, we have some people who are due to be asleep for a little longer. You're in the Avengers' infirmary," he added as I started another question. I grinned again at how well we knew each other.

"Is it over? Did we win?"

"Yeah, yeah we did."

Just then, Dr. Banner walked in with a small plastic cup of water and handed it to me. I allowed the cool liquid to soothe my unused throat, and mumbled a thank you.

"You're welcome, you really needed it."

"Could I get up? I really need to wash and change," I said, looking down at my dusty outfit, my mask long gone.

"If you're feeling up to it, your only major injury was the energy you spent. There's a new change of clothes that Peter grabbed for you on that couch, along with a towel," Dr. Banner gestured to a sofa in the corner of the room. "The showers are just round that corner. I'll leave you to it."

As he exited the room, Peter leant over to me and sighed. "I'm sorry about this."

"What?"

"I-I panicked. I thought, your parents... they had a right to know. I just couldn't help myself and they seemed so scared about you and I just had to tell them and-"

"Hey," I cut Pete off. "I was going to tell them anyway. I couldn't keep this secret from them any longer, and I think that actually, they'll be better off if I revealed myself."

"Really?"

"Yeah, we need the money that being a superhero could bring in, and I've just been thinking like, shouldn't I use this gift for something a little more useful than just hiding behind the scenes, helping out Spider-Man, who doesn't even need my help?"

Peter smiled. "I do need your help. Without you, I wouldn't know which way was up!" We shared the grin.

"Now get out."

"What?"

"I need to change and shower, I ain't letting you see me naked!"

"Oh, oh, right, yes, sorry," Peter choked out, awkward as ever. I laughed at him as he backed out the door.