22. ** A Plan **

The silence was deafening as I slowly approached HQ, where everyone was regrouping before heading back to base. I watched Levi from afar, as he talked with Erwin and Pixis just inside the hall. I didn't want to interrupt their private conversation, so I began wandering around the wounded soldiers, hoping to help in some way. I brought water to a few, and even held the hand of a soldier who was completely inconsolable. Clutched within his grasp was a small patch of fabric: the Wings of Freedom. I brought his fist to his chest and stared into his swollen eyes.

"I am grateful to your friend for their sacrifice."

He nodded back, still unable to speak.

As I stood back up, I caught sight of Mikasa and Armin, who were sitting beside Eren, still lying in the wagon. Mikasa looked up, making eye contact with me, but quickly turning away. I was about to speak, when I noticed Armin perk up to someone behind me.

Pivoting my feet to turn, I found myself face to face with Levi. Although neither of us had shown much outward affection toward each other in public, I found it impossible to contain myself any longer. I threw my arms around him and buried my face into his cape. I could feel his hesitation to initially hug me back, probably because he was so caught off guard or too embarrassed. But he slowly lifted his arms and gently wrapped them around me in return.  I could feel his hands clenching onto my jacket, obviously tormented by such a devasting loss.

Before he let go, he softly spoke into my ear.

"You're leaving here with me. Now. We need you back in the Survey Corps," he paused for a moment and muttered, "I need you back..."

I pulled back slightly, giving him a strange look. He was being awfully vulnerable, and I could tell he was hiding an immense amount of pain behind his eyes. Even though I knew there would never be a good time for such a question, and I was afraid that I already knew the answer, I had to be sure of something.

"Levi, where is the rest of our squad...?"

His face hardened as the shadow returned to hover over him. He looked away, before muttering, "They're gone."

I dropped my head and shuddered a weak sigh. Now was not the time to ask how or why. I knew Levi just wanted to push forward, and had already gone through enough.

Straightening his posture, he returned to his stern demeanor and said, "If you have anything back in your room, please retrieve it quickly. We're moving out as soon as Erwin gets back from his meeting with Pixis. Apparently, Erwin has been summoned to the Capitol to surrender Eren, but you-"

"Okay," I mumbled, interrupting his nervous ramble. "I understand."

He looked up at me, slightly surprised that he didn't have to convince me to go with him. Knowing Erwin, there was a greater plan involved, not to mention a terrible need for more soldiers after such tragic decimation.

"(F/N), you realize that we will be going with Erwin, right?"

I faked a smile.

"I'm stronger than I was before, Levi. I'll go get my things. Stay with Eren until I get back."

I jogged back to the barracks, wanting to avoid any more unnecessary conversation about the Capitol. I knew who was there. And I knew there was a chance he would discover my whereabouts. But this time, I was going to fight back.  And losing was not an option.

------------------------------------------------------

The evening evolved quickly into night, but the night seemed to drag on forever.  We were back at the old Fortress, but I wasn't sure if I was relieved or not to be there. I was, however, much more at peace with Levi back by my side.

He and I sat at the large table beside the fireplace, across from Eren, who was visibly anxious.  Levi nonchalantly sipped his tea, while we all waited on Erwin to join us.  Becoming impatient, Levi made a crude remark about how Erwin was probably constipated or something.

I stifled a laugh, and so did Eren, who pointed out how talkative Levi had become.  He only glared at him from over his tea and muttered,

"Don't be stupid. I've always been talkative."

I was starting to enjoy our little laugh when Levi suddenly winced in pain.  I watched as he nursed his leg for a moment, before Eren began attempting to apologize for causing Levi's injury, due the mistakes he made.  But Levi stopped him mid-apology and said,

"I've told you before. No one knows how things will turn out."

I stared at Eren, then back at Levi. He had looked over at me once again, making sure I heard what he said.  Wishing that I knew more of what had happened on the expedition, I gave Levi a look of concern.  For him to be wincing in front of us, he had to have been badly injured.

As I was about to vocalize my trepidation, Erwin opened the door behind us and entered the room, followed by Mikasa and Armin.

I silently tried to digest everything that was said that night. About Erwin and Armin's plan to capture the Female Titan, who they had encountered on the expedition. About said-titan being a friend of theirs, who was a graduate of the 104th Cadet Corps, now a member of the Military Police: Annie Leonhart.

A heated argument ensued, starting with Eren's absolute disbelief in his friend being their enemy. This was all followed by Levi's demand for proof, Armin's convincing theories, and Erwin's risky plan.  All I could do was try my best to follow what everyone was saying, with what little knowledge I had about the expedition.

When we all finally disbanded, Levi and I retired to his room, utterly exhausted.  I removed everything but my button-down shirt, and flopped into bed next to him.  He started to turn to face me, when he winced again, clutching his leg.

I stared at him, giving him the chance to talk first. He just sighed and released his grasp, brushing it off as nothing. Instead of demanding to know what had happened, I swiftly scooted closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder and my hand on his chest.

"We have a long ride to Stohess ahead of us tomorrow.  If you want to tell me how you got hurt then, I will listen. Until then, try to get some sleep."

He squeezed my shoulder, followed by a mumbled "good night." I knew he would avoid the subject again tomorrow, but for now, he more than deserved to rest. 

I, on the other hand, could only lie awake in Levi's arms. I was fighting against my anxiety, trying to allow myself to soak up each second next to him. Hearing him slowly breathing as he slept, watching his chest rise and fall, feeling his skin against mine, and even inhaling the scent of him that I so dearly missed... I just wanted to freeze time and never leave.

And yet, even in such a perfect moment, my mind couldn't stop rushing. At some point tomorrow, we would be back inside Stohess, inside Wall Sina.  No matter how hard I tried to stay away, I was always called back. 

I had made a promise to myself after leaving for the Garrison, that should I ever run into Viktor again, I would kill him. I didn't care what my punishment would be for the murder of a high-ranking MP Commander... My bloodlust was far too unquenchable, especially after his ruthless tactics almost killed Levi.  I never knew it was possible to hate Viktor even more than I already did.  He had taken so much from me for so long, and I wouldn't allow for it any longer.