The Voice

A group of hikers trudged alone, trying to walk faster. Their feet aching with the agony of the climb, the ground slippery owing to the heavy rain the night before. The sun was slowly sinking, the distance getting darker. The last streak of light trying to push in through the crowd of trees. The clearing wasn't even in sight.

With backpacks and hiking sticks to help with the stiff climb, the five were turning breathless.

"I can't go on. My legs are really hurting. Can't we just pull up camp out here?" Nisha grumbled, pausing to catch a breath.

"We can't. There is no proper place here. The clearing is another three kilometres away. It won't take long if we walk fast enough." Aden went over to her. Everyone had come to a halt. Ankit climbed a little further to look around the area they were stranded at.

"This is what happens when you don't plan correctly," Susan mumbled, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

"We planned it, okay. We were supposed to leave at nine but you girls got too busy applying makeup." Aden defended.

"Hey, no makeup talks. You were the ones who woke up later. And, if we were indeed wearing makeup, we would have been slaying this freaking hike." Susan returned.

"Seriously, this conversation makes no sense. Both of you, just stop." James pushed in. "Let's keep walking."

"I seriously can't. We should have stopped at the last clearing. But, somebody didn't want to." Nisha looked at Aden angrily,

"Not my fault, exactly. You all agreed. And that last clearing wasn't even in the plan."

"There is no plan in the first place." Susan snapped.

"Hey... Hey, guys. Chill out! I saw a house a few meters away. Maybe we can rest there for tonight." Ankit butted in, climbing down.

"What house? I think we should keep moving. Let's not stop there." Aden started climbing for a look.

"I'm in for it. Let's rest there." Susan opposed Aden. There was a strange mystery between them. It wasn't exactly hatred. They just didn't like each other for no apparent reason. There was no history between them as far as the rest of the group knew. They would just oppose whatever the other said.

"Me too. I can't go on for three more kilometres. My leg will fall off."

"It might be unsafe. We don't know anything about it." Aden tried again.

"Let's just go in there. It has started to drizzle. And, it's only for tonight. It will start raining soon, and we won't even reach the clearing before that." James coaxed as began walking. Susan and Nisha followed him closely.

Aden scoffed but followed them. It started to drizzle a little more. The forest around them appeared more and more intense with each step. The accommodation was visible in the distance. It was more of a cottage than a house. It was tiny and covered with trees all around. They picked up the pace as the cottage grew closer. And, sooner than expected, they found themselves at the doors of what appeared to be a deserted place.

"Did you knock? Try knocking again. Is there a doorbell?" Susan came up behind Ankit to look in through the window.

"I did. Many times. I don't think anyone lives here. Should we try the door?"

"I don't like the vibe of this place. Every horror story starts like this. A deserted cottage in the middle of nowhere, people walking in the trap, thunders, and lightning. It's a perfect set-up." Aden mumbled to himself, a little louder than he intended to.