Interlude - Letters and Greiving

After playing those cards, Cosette called it a night, being able to have a rent paid for Bonacieux' demand.

It would take a couple of weeks for Cosette's letters to Amélie and Isabelle, for they lived in Pinon, happily married to their husbands, a pair of brothers, Jacques and Adam. By sheer luck, the letter came in the mail within a manner of ten days, addressed her under the name d'Artagnan. Constance slipped it up to Cosette in order for her husband not to see it. It was from Amelie and Isabelle.

Cosette

I honestly do not know what you were thinking disguising yourself as a man and challenging a Musketeer, who has multiple years of experience fighting while you do not. Father's death isn't easy on you but seriously, no woman challenges a man while also pretending to be one. Also, being a man to become a Musketeer sounds unbecoming and dangerous and I worry for you doing this.

However, you did manage to find out Father's killer with helps from the Musketeers. and you did manage to defend yourself against him, so, no matter what, as your older sisters, Isabelle and I will allow you to keep up this charade in order for you to protect yourself, since you don't know how many men would take advantage of a young woman like you.

Also, the farm will be inherited by Jacques, but be rest assured you have inherited a rather medium income to help pay off your rent with Monsieur Bonacieux. We will also pitch in to help, at least until you get commissioned for the King.

Please, remain safe, Baby Sister. Try not to do anything rash.

P.S. Constance has promised with your last letter that she will keep an eye on you.

We all love you

Your sister

Amélie

Cosette looked at the other letter that was from her sister, Isabelle. And it was completely different from her point of view.

Cos, you are the craziest sister I've ever had. Going head to head with a Musketeer is ludicrous. However, if you didn't father's Killer would never have been revealed. We hope to visit Father's grave soon. I hope you know what your doing. I know most of us don't like you putting yourself in danger. Jacques and Adam worry for you too much, as they love you like a sister (since all they had was one younger brother and no sisters). They've listened to Amélie and me. Jacques worries so much for you that he's sending a small income for your rent (If Amelie didn't tell you that earlier).

However, I fully support your dream to becoming a Musketeer. Not many women are as fortunate as you to do this. Do stay safe little sister, and remember, don't let Paris change you. Stay the person I know you are (but please, don't do anything that will get you killed.

Love, Isabelle

As you could tell, Amelie and Isabelle had different personalities. Amelie was more mature of the three sisters (mostly because she was the eldest). Isabelle, on the other hand, was more straightforward and slightly more adventurous than Isabelle was (nearly the same as Cosette herself). Amelie was the one like father but Isabelle was a combination of Father and Mother and Cosette was a spitfire like her mother.

Cosette knew she shouldn't worry her sisters and brothers-in-law but it was her life after all. She knew her sisters did not approve of her decision but they still begrudgingly accepted her role in this. Now only if Cosette could as well. Meanwhile, Constance watched Cosette opening her letters the whole time. Honestly, Cosette could cry if she wanted to.

"Are you alright?" Constance asked. She wasn't really close with Cosette at this point, but still, it was alright to wonder about her.

"What am I doing?" Cosette asked. She looked up at the older woman. "I must be out of my mind pretending to be a man. Constance looked at her knowingly.

"You know, it used to be quiet around here, but now, you've disturbed the quietness in the house," Constance said. Cosette nodded.

"I apologize for that," Cosette said. Constance shook her head.

"No, it was terrible, Cosette," said Constance.

Cosette looked to Constance, and then at the door.

"I'm always expecting Papa to walk through those doors, coming to greet me and give me the biggest hug. But now he's gone."

"Yes, and And you know what people do after they've lost someone? They mourn for them."

"I don't think I'll ever stop mourning," Cosette said, watching the fire crackling. Constance stood there for a moment. Until she cleared her throat.

"I could take you to your father's grave, if you want," Constance said.

"Yes, but what about your husband?"

"He has left for the rest of the week," said Constance. "We will ride out to your father's grave, but first, we must change your clothes."

Cosette knew she meant that they were going to fix up her corset. After doing so, the two women left on horseback. Cosette kept Sapphire at a steady pace as they made their way to the inn. Constance kept her distance as Cosette bent down to her father's grave at that local cemetery. She kissed the ground with her hand before Cosette collapsed, tears filling her eyes. Constance didn't know what to do at that point; until she walked over to Cosette and gave her a hug.

The two ladies left the cemetery to return back to the Bonacieux house. Luckily, there was no sign of Constance's husband being there. Constance told Cosette to go back upstairs to get some rest but told the young woman to keep on her own corset in case any of Cosette's men turned up. She didn't sleep though, she cried through most of the nap she was supposed to have.

What else was next for them?

However, how was Cosette going to deal with the fact she couldn't tell Constance about the ruse to get into a circle of criminals?