chapter 19: A Musketeer in All but Name

When Cosette heard that they were heading to her old hometown to capture Martin Lebarge, her stomach dropped. Cosette had not been there since her father's death. Returning home was quite hard for her, as she had to avoid being seen by people who knew her too well. He had been terrorizing her home and murdered two fellow Musketeers.

Captain Trudeau of the Red Guards was killed trying to apprehend him. The Musketeers tried warning him but Trudeau did not listen at the cost of his own life. Most of his men immediately turned against the Musketeers and all four of the Inseparables began fighting them until Captain Treville broke them up. They took Lebarge to the Chatelet prison while Cosette retired back to the Bonacieux house. She greeted Constance with a "hello." The two women hugged but they immediately departed from each other when Constance's husband came into the room.

He reminded Cosette she was behind on the rent. She, in turn, told him she had not heard from her brother-in-law or received income from him yet.

Well, you've put yourself in a reckless position. You and your family are farmers who neglects his land and a would-be Musketeer with no commission in sight. I could point out your folly, but, err...perhaps it's not necessary."

Cosette could hardly imagine what it would be like if he knew she was a woman. Constance looked at her best friend sympathetically

"Gentlemen! Finally, we have the opportunity to prove what we have always known. That technically..."

Honestly, Cosette did not know what she was walking herself into. She took a place next to Athos but behind Porthos and Aramis.

"What's going on?" Cosette asked.

"There is to be a competition between the Musketeers and the Red Guards," Athos answered.

"Yeah, each side will choose a champion," Porthos explained, "to settle the issue of which regiment is greater."

"As if it were in doubt," said Aramis. Cosette rolled her eyes. Honestly, she still could not get Aramis at all.

"How will this champion be chosen?" Cosette asked.

"There will be competitive trials..." answered Treville, "and a 30-livres entry fee."

"30?" asked all the Musketeers.

"It forms a prize purse. Winner takes all."

"Why didn't you say so before, huh?" said Porthos, earning a chuckle from the crowd but a shake of the head by Treville.

"This isn't about money. This is about the honour of the Musketeers. One man amongst you will have the honour of representing me."

Cosette was initially excited in this whole ordeal until she realized one thing. She couldn't use this opportunity into entering the competition. She was not even an official member of the Musketeers. It was quite aggravating. Her friends could participate but Cosette couldn't. It was a dream that she wanted. To be a Musketeer and prove to her sisters that she was capable of taking care of herself. She, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis were sitting together at lunch with Cosette was sitting on one of the steps the long way.

"Well, gentlemen, may the best man amongst us win." said Aramis.

"Only those of us who are allowed to compete, Aramis," Cosette reminded her brother. She removed her pistol from her belt and playing with it.