Chapter 21 A Femme Fatale Musketeer

"This is wrong and dangerous," Athos advised his captain. D'Artagnan not being allowed to fight and Treville being the challenger instead both were on the same level of idiocy.

"This challenge is my doing," said Treville. "It is my responsibility to see it through."

"Instead of giving yourself one last moment of glory, you should be giving d'Artagnan the chance to win his commission from the King."

"You think this is about glory?"

"All I know is that d'Artagnan has it in him to be a fine Musketeer, perhaps the greatest of us all. But now? We'll never know, because you have stolen his best chance to prove it."

Athos stormed out of Treville's office as the captain took it all in. He would not have Cosette be killed over Treville's mistake

Constance sat uneasy, waiting for Cosette to return home. She tried not crying. Her husband figured everything out. He knew Cosette was a girl. Constance feared for her best friend's life. Her husband was now an ally of the Cardinal's. It was not for her benefit, or for Cosette's but her own husband's. Constance did not know what to do or what to say except what Bonacieux told her.

Constance knew what would happen to her best friend. She would be imprisoned or worse, killed for pretending to be a man and she would not let that happen. When Constance meant she would protect Cosette at all costs, this was not what she had in mind.

"Treville's taken the fight for himself," Cosette added. Constance was disappointed to hear that, but she was more worried to protecting Cosette. It would be worth it for her best friend's safety.

"Well, then, I suppose that puts an end to your daydream," Constance responded. Cosette blinked.

"What are..."

"I'm sorry Cosette, but I cannot take it anymore. The lies, keeping your secret. It's killing me."

"Constance, where is this coming from?" Cosette pointed out. "You have always helped me."

"I only helped you because I took pity on you," Constance snapped. Inside, this was killing her. "But this, whatever we have, this friendship it's not real."

"Not real?" Cosette began. "But Constance, you are my friend,"

"I am a respectable, married woman Cosette." Constance said coldly. "And I could never be friends with a disrespectful little girl who passes herself as a boy. I can't risk my future for you. I have far too much to lose." Cosette, for the life of her, could not figure out where this was coming from. This was not the Constance she called "sister" a couple of days ago. D'Artagnan's tear came running down her cheek.

"I'm sure you've made the right decision," Cosette said through the sob. "Thank you for helping me see things more clearly."

Without another word, Cosette stormed out of the room and the house. When she left, Bonacieux looked at Constance and was satisfied with how it turned out. However, when her husband left the house, Constance broke down crying.

Cosette, despite what she was feeling, appeared at the backyard of the Louvre, right in between Aramis and Athos. The latter of the two women looked back at her.

"There's nowhere else to go, anyways," said Cosette.

Athos sighed very silently so that way that Cosette did not hear him at all.

"D'Artagnan," Athos whispered into her ear, "despite your actions with Lebarge a couple of night. You'll make a fine Musketeer one day. And I am proud on how far you have gotten."