Chapter 26

Milady waited. As spoken, Athos, Aramis, Porthos, and Cosette appeared in the town's square. With one wink by Cosette, she shot Athos, right aimed at his heart. Porthos took a Pig's bladder and let the blood fall on Athos' side. Though it was fake, Cosette could feel the anxiety. The anger, if she had any, would be satisfied.

Milady admitted she did not enjoy it as much as she thought.

"He's dead!" Aramis yelled. "You murderess!"

"Aramis..." said Cosette. She tried looking scarce.

"Get out!" Porthos shouted. He wasn't proud of how they were treating her, but it had to look real. Cosette ran. She knew something like this was never real, but it still felt that way.

She waited for Athos in the tavern. Before she would meet with milady, they agreed to talk with reach other.

"Convincing enough?" Athos asked.

"Yeah," said Cosette. "But make this quick, Athos. She wants me to show up soon."

Athos says, "Just, promise me you will be careful."

"I will," said Cosette.

"I hope you will be, Cosette, because, you need to focus, let nothing distract you."

"And remember, head over heart if the situation gets worse," Cosette added. Athos nodded. "I'll keep that lesson with me the whole time. I know what to do: give him information about Gallagher's letter that specifically mentions him." She looked and saw that spy. While Athos may not have noticed it, Cosette knew that man worked for the Cardinal. He was his manservant; nothing will go wrong."

She Stayed silent for a second, thinking else of what to say.

"Listen, Athos, I've got to tell you something," Cosette said.

"What?" Athos asked. Cosette wondered if she should tell him her secret.

"I'll tell you later, I've got to go," Cosette said.

Athos wondered what that was all about and began wondering about that man who had been watching them the whole time, for he left not long after Cosette had.

The Cardinal heard everything from his manservant.

So, Athos was not really dead. He and that D'Artagnan girl talked about how the ledger from Gallagher told them everything they needed to know. And that they had some sort of scheme going on. He had ordered the Red Guards to keep an eye on the D'Artagnan girl ever since the day Milady told him of his encounter with her.

And he doubted that Milady had any knowledge that Athos was still alive because she and Cosette were on their way right now.

And maybe, he could use her to his advantage. And how far would Aramis and Porthos go to protect her secret?

"I thought I would feel something more than this..."said Milady. Cosette so wanted to kill the woman for all the pain she caused Athos. She didn't like this one bit. She bit her tongue as Milady spoke. "This emptiness. I loved him once. Are you sorry you killed him?"

Cosette had no choice but to answer.

"Regrets are pointless. It's help I need now. Aramis and Porthos will never forgive this. They'll want revenge."

"I thought you were like me," said Milady.

"We are nothing alike," Cosette said.

"Of course we were, Cosette. We both pretend to be something we're not, and use lies to protect ourselves. You pretend to be some warrior But in reality, you are a little girl. And I pretended to be a woman of high society but I am really from a lowly background. We have both lied about who we are to Athos."