[CHAPTER ONE] : Soggy Lunch

Thursday, 2:45 P.M.

When you can't exactly afford filling foods; survival of the fittest kicks in. Anyway, yeah, (Y/N) didn't really have a good, solid excuse for the fact that they had just downed a sandwich. What kind of sandwich? Not fish, nor of cucumber. Mold.

(Y/N) didn't have a job. They had to drop out of university under emergency circumstances. By "emergency circumstances", they actually meant "Hey-I-Am-Too-Tired-And-Bored-Of-This-Subject-And-I-Lost-Interest-In-It-And-I-Want-To-Leave-NOW."

The more they thought about it, the more it dawned upon them that—survival of the fittest is best suited for when you live out in the woods... or on Naked and Afraid. However, they weren't nude, but they sure was afraid, and they lived in a full on city. Why would survival of the fittest work around here?

Sure, there are those big, burly, tough Operatives that roam the city looking to kill off a few civilians. Survival of the fittest; avoid them at all costs, if you run into one, that's it, no chances left, you're dead.

(Y/N), being a dropout, was tackled by hungry army enforcers looking to add another struggling fighter into the mix. They wondered if being an Operative was anything like that at all?

Their thoughts bounced around like a hyperactive football. The sandwich was quickly growing disgusting, as well as possibly growing mushrooms on its surface.

They swallowed thickly. Who cares if it made them sick? It will breed strength. How cool would it be to show up at a distant cousin's birthday party, go "watch this", and then swallow an entire infestation of dangerous, toxic mold?

Being revolted in themself wasn't going to make anything better, so they grinned and took it like a champ. A great, fungus-eating champ.

They were relived when the sandwich was gone. Not even a single crumb was left on the table. They felt proud of themself, as they should. It wasn't completely their fault that their life was the way it is.

They lazed about for a few hours, napping on the old couch and watching some cartoons. They decided it was probably best to go stretch their legs once in awhile. So they headed out. But of course, like every single damn movie and novel—they ran into someone.

"Oopsie! I should've been watching where I was going~!" A giddy voice laughed bubbly. (Y/N) was frozen in shock and fear. This is where it all ends.

  The Operative examined their face for a minute. "I'm not that scary! That's the job for Scary_Day!" (Y/N) rolled their eyes, 'so we got jokes now, do we?'

"My, you look unhealthy!" He suddenly blurted out, resulting in (Y/N)'s surprised yet offended stare. "How about we go and get you something nice to eat~?" They really didn't like how he said that.

"Listen, sir, I appreciate it," they sighed, "but I just can't mooch off of someone of such an important role as you."

"Nonsense~! My coworker owns a bakery, let's go get us some sweets!" He winked as he dragged them across the street. They dug their shoes into the concrete to try and stop him from taking them away.

The Operative glanced back worriedly at them. "This is my apology for running into you. The bakery owner is also a doctor, if you need medical assistance." He was suddenly serious. (Y/N) hated it. It unsettled them to the very core.

"Now then!" He clapped his hands together, scaring (Y/N) slightly, "let's be on our way!"

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey—wait!" They shouted, "I don't even know your name!"

The Operative bursted out into laughter, which made you feel stupid, "I'm [OPERATIVE] Radiant_Day! But please, I insist on you calling me Radiant or Radiant_Day!" Radiant_Day held out a hand for them to shake.

(Y/N) forced a smile onto their face, shaking his hand politely, "and I'm (Y/N)." He smiled, "very nice name~!"

The small moment between the two of them faded once Radiant_Day began dragging them along like a child flying a kite.

(Y/N) sighed, accepting their fate. 'At least I'm making friends...'