[CHAPTER THREE] : The Darkness

Sunday, 1:30 A.M.
{STORMY}

  The stinging pitter patter of the rain against your upturned face was the only thing reminding you that you were alive—and that this world was not just some hallucination. You sighed, "so much for not bringing an umbrella."

   Why were you out this late? Did you have a death wish? Did you want to be killed? What is wrong with you? You kicked an empty can of soda for a while. The Operatives were usually strict about litter nowadays, it was one of the things you were thankful for as well.

   Soon enough, you released a huge, powerful kick to the poor can, and it was sent rocketing into the sky in front of you. You stared in wonder at the can's flight, it was pretty... badass, in a way.

   You never even saw the can land, nor did you hear the harsh 'clang' noise it would've made. What you did hear was something angry storming right up to you. You froze.

   "Of course!" You thought, "as if my life wasn't already like a film!" The footsteps only grew louder as the ground shook underneath its supposedly heavy weight. You needed to hide.

   Quickly, you ducked behind a building's wall. It was the only thing other than the creepy alleyway available. The footsteps seemed to deter, and it quieted down. Gaining courage, you placed one, single foot into the open to run away, and...

   The only thing you could see was black. Darker than the night itself. With two misshapen white orbs floating ominously over a slimy white mouth filled with crooked teeth that resembled one of those gate decorations you would find at a Halloween store.

   But there was no time to waste checking out the... handsome fellow before you, it was going to kill you. It's three large claws plunged into your right arm with such force that it most likely resulted in whiplash.

   You knew what to do to get out of this mess. Die. Or—at least—play dead.

   Once the creature pulled out its claws to strike again, you limply fell backwards like a ragdoll. It was obvious that it wouldn't be enough to convince the monster, so you gurgled on your extra saliva—acting like you were choking on your blood.

   You had blood around your face from when it slashed into your stomach, so you used that to your advantage to make your little plan even more promising. Rolling your (E/C) eyes back and closing them, you stopped struggling and kept your breaths as quiet and shallow as possible.

   The creature stood over you for a few more minutes and you worried that you would eventually run out of stored air. Finally, to your relief, it fled once it sensed something nearby.

   You smiled weakly, at least that was dealt with. However, what were you to do about your little boo-boo? You used up energy making your death look real. You tried it anyway, hoping that adrenaline would numb the pain temporarily to allow you to get help.

   You had just enough energy to prop yourself upright against the building wall. Now you were groaning, and you didn't dare look down at your injuries. You wanted to yell for assistance, but you surely could not, the creature might hear you.

   "I might... I may survive this... right?" You thought hopefully, "I can wait for a few more hours! Only five hours hopefully..." At least the rain proved a bit useful, as it washed out your injury... painfully.

   Dear God, why did you leave the safety of your residence?

Meanwhile...

   "And you think this [CIVILIAN] is worthy of the [OPERATIVE] role?" Emotionless_Day repeated the musician's words carefully.

   "Yes! You see, they are trustwor—"

   "Enough!" The leader shouted before any chaos in the office could start, "we cannot allow a mere [CIVILIAN] into thyne [UNION]. It is much too dangerous."

   Radiant_Day whimpered, "you guys aren't l-listening to me!" Emotionless_Day stepped forward, "Radiant_Day, listen to the [SUPREME LEADER]. You shall not go against our [GREAT ONE'S] orders."

   The musician couldn't argue back, it would only end bad for him. He reluctantly bowed in apology towards his ticked off leader, who was beginning to cool down.

   Right as Radiant_Day stepped out of the office, Great_Day had suddenly called him back in.

   "I'll tell you what. If this [CIVILIAN] manages to receive a [RESUME VOUCH] from [OPERATIVES] Scary_Day, Macabre_Day, and Emotionless_Day in three weeks... I will [CONSIDER] it," the leader leaned back into his chair with a smirk. He believed it would be an impossible task.

   Radiant_Day grinned as he saluted, "yes sir! Thank you so much for your consideration~! I will relay this message to them immediately!" He raced out the door with a new motivation in mind.

   Emotionless_Day turned his head to face the leader, "are you positive about this?" Great_Day nodded, "make sure you make this as [DIFFICULT] as possible. Do not let the [CIVILIAN] win easily."

   Without another word, Emotionless_Day nodded and left after Radiant_Day. Great_Day exhaled, "you'll surely join the union, civilian... in your dreams..."