[CHAPTER TWO] : A Job Offer?

Saturday, 10:30 A.M.

   After you first went out to eat with Radiant_Day, you just couldn't stop. It was fun to hear all about Radiant_Day's stories as an Operative, and it was sad to hear how misunderstood he really was.

   The two of you were back at the bakery, Radiant_Day chatting up an entire hurricane. The civilians seemed a bit annoyed, but did they dare speak it out loud? Hell. No.

   You felt good. You had a friend, and were practically invincible! Then, an interference showed up.

   "Radiant! Use your inside voice! And..." the pink-suited Operative winced once she noticed the wet crumbs all over the table, "chew with your mouth closed, for Christ's sake!" The Operative, who you knew as Benevolent_Day, turned to walk back to the counter, talking to a black-suited Operative.

   Radiant_Day stuck out his tongue at the pink Operative. He noticed your expression and turned to give you his attention, "she's such a party pooper!"

   Then, Radiant_Day's loud and eccentric voice suddenly toned down a few. You had to lean in to hear what he was saying.

   "You say you're unemployed, right?" He asked.

   "Yes," you nodded.

   "And you want a job here in the city, correct?"

   "Yes."

   "How about..." He grinned widely, "you join the Days Union!"

   His voice reached levels you didn't even know a voice could reach. It echoed against the walls of the bakery like a sonic boom, and the whole bakery was quiet.

   Embarrassed, you frantically gestured for him to be quiet. Radiant_Day laughed at your flustered expression before calming down and speaking in a more quiet tone, "what do you say?"

You huffed, "aren't you guys, like, you know, a secret society? I can't just join that easily!" Radiant_Day nodded, taking your words into consideration, "how long have you been living here?"

You rolled your eyes, typical of Radiant_Day to suddenly change the subject like it was nothing, "a year." Radiant_Day grinned, "then you're already qualified!"

It was really that easy? You'd at least think that, you would have to do something extremely convincing, like teleport or read minds or something.

You slowly nodded, getting more and more interested about the job, "so... how do I even join?" Benevolent_Day appeared almost out of thin air behind you, joining into the conversation casually.

"It's pretty simple! You can go online or in person to get a resume, fill it out, wait a few days for it to be reviewed, after that—it's up to the Supreme Leader to accept your resume!" Benevolent_Day gave you a sneaky wink, "I'll let you know now, though," her voice was now a whisper, "the Supreme Leader is a stickler for good quality writing."

Radiant_Day nodded at Benevolent_Day's comment, "you should be as formal as possible when writing your resume. I recommend checking it over a few times before you send it in... oh! And use neat handwriting~! The Supreme Leader loves that~!"

You really didn't need the advice, but it was comforting knowing that two Operatives were trying to help you get a job—as an Operative. You smiled at the two, "thank you, I'll keep all of that in mind."

Benevolent_Day perked up, rushing back behind the counter and disappearing into a back room. You turned back to Radiant_Day, "well, she's pretty... random?" He giggled behind his hand at your rude little comment, which made you relax slightly.

Then, the pink Operative came bounding over with a slip of pink paper in her hand. She handed it over to you and you read over it quickly. It was a resume, sure, but what confused you was the little "presented by Benevolent_Day" on the right hand corner of the slip.

Before you could even ask what it meant, Radiant_Day explained that Operatives are given the corresponding color resumes that they can give to potential new hires, and that it boosts your chance of getting accepted.

You almost teared up, you have never spoken to Benevolent_Day, only to order food, and yet she still wants to pitch in. Benevolent_Day grinned dreamily, "that same method was how I got accepted into the Days Union! Except the Operative who gave me a resume was Macabre_Day!"

Wow, that was impressive, actually. From what you know, Macabre_Day was the title of the Operative Benevolent_Day was talking to before, and she wasn't a welcoming gal. Sure, she's apparently polite to other Operatives, but with civilians, she enjoys to kill them more than anything.

You really wondered if Benevolent_Day ever got shot by Macabre_Day before she was an Operative.

Radiant_Day gave you a charming smile as he got up to leave, "I'll go get you a resume from me too! You just staple Benevolent's and mine together and you're almost guaranteed to get picked~!"

Your thoughts grew greedy and you internally grinned, 'I wonder how many Operative-Presented resumes I can get? If I could get an Emotionless resume or a Scary resume, I would have to be lucky.'

"Oi, Benevolent, how do you work the register again?" Macabre_Day shouted across the bakery. Benevolent_Day's friendly expression dropped to an annoyed one as she turned on her heel, yelling back, "I thought I already showed you .3 milliseconds ago!"

You laughed, their bickering was something you would have to witness everyday if you were an Operative, you didn't mind. It was funny.