9. Insert Tragic Backstory...

The florescent lights flickered on and Spade started to get herself settled. Abhainn looked around the open space with a mirror on one of the walls and a shipping container that Natasha opened to reveal spare clothes; what seemed to be a wrestling ring in front of it all.

"Here Abhainn, put this on. It will help you blend in better than those robes," Natasha handed her the folded clothes before turning and sitting to Spade. "I'm gonna have to go and report to S.H.E.I.L.D. alright?!"

"Alright. I'll see you on the other side, and do NOT tell anyone what we are out about this," Spade shouted back, waving from the other side of the room. Natasha nodded before she jogged away. "Come over here Abhainn," the brunette beconned to the faerie girl towards some shipping containers to which she obeyed. "You can change in here. But try not to take too long, okay?" Spade said opening a smaller container with a shelf with towels, dry soaps and hair products, and a water pitcher on it. At the other end was a mirror with a wardrobe next to it; on the sides were one way windows, the reflective part facing the outside.

"What do I do with my old clothes?" Abhainn asked before closing the door behind her.

"Fold them and put them in the wardrobe," Spade replied. The orange and green haired girl nodded again and did as told. When she came out, five minutes later, Spade smiled. "That's much better!"

"What do we do now maje-Spade?" Abhainn said, nearly forgetting to call her superior by her name instead of her title

"Well let me change really quick and I will explain my plan," Spade said before walking into the container. The girl didn't need to wait long before the color tinted brunette walked out with a fresh set of clothes on but with her hair still in a ponytail.

"What I want you to do," she said calmly, leading the forest-green eyed fae to a seating area

"What I want you to do," she said calmly, leading the forest-green eyed fae to a seating area. "Is to tell me as much as you can about what the hell is happening to me?! Why is this happening to me?" she panicked, shaking the other girl's shoulders. Abhainn straightened her orange/green hair as she watched the color-tinted brunette try to catch her breath.

"You're just like your mother..." she said quietly. Spade's amber and purple eyes widened and stared at the girl in front of her. "She kept her cool so well in public. But when the doors closed all she wanted to do was float on her bed like a wee babe," she reminisced, looking down at her hands in her lap.

Spade scooted closer to her. "What was my mother like? As a queen and a normal... person? I guess?" she asked, not sure what to say.

Abhainn giggled at her lack of vocabulary. "We're called Fae. Any creature that resides in our land is Fae Folk." Space was more surprised that she could understand clearly through her thick Irish accent. "Your mother however, she was something else..." the girl continued, "each of our queens in the past had a different quirk and personality. Your mother was a true... how do you say this... stiùiriche?" She tried to translate but struggled.

"Leader," Spade said, somehow understanding the language now, "my mother was a true leader. I can see how I'm related to her," she scoffed and let Abhainn continue.

"But when her crown came off, och! Watch out! She was a ticking time bomb; sure when she had to focus on her queenly duties she made sure she didn't have time to make a fuss or rage, and she was good at doing to that too. It was all a costume to hide her rage that would have scared all Vikings ever to exist," she said with passion.

While Spade thought to herself, well I can finally understand where my anger issues come from, another question was eating at her. "Who were you to my mother and why did you come for me anyway? Wouldn't guards or something come and find me?" she asked. The faerie in front of her shifted in her seat uncomfortably and looked nervous.

"W-well you see, u-um," she stuttered and hesitated, until she saw Spade's desperate face through her day green eyes. She sighed, "I'm your mother's niece. So that makes us cousins," she spoke with courage. Spade's jaw dropped, but quickly closed when her cousin began to speak once more. "Your father's sister was unfortunately unable to produce a child with her wife, but they found me by a river, hence my name, and took me in. But since I was adopted, I could not be the heir to the throne," she said somewhat sadly.

"How old are you?" Spade asked after giving time for the fae to collect herself again.

Her face lit up. "Two hundred and sixteen! A year for you is 8 for us," she explained. The brunette stared at her, not willing to believe that she looked amazing at 216 years old. But she put it aside and tried to think of an other questions she might have.

"What about my fath-"

"He didn't deserve it. He couldn't even see you," she said quickly. Spade didn't even process what she said but it obviously made the girl upset. Abhainn took in a shaky breath and stroked a stand of her braided hair as if it were therapy. "Your father was a gate keeper when she feel in love with him, they courted for, hmm, about three years when they finally got married; it was another two years before she became pregnant with you. But during those years tensions were high and war was eminent between us and the kelpies and witches outside the border of our land. A few weeks before you were born they laid siege on us and held your parents hostage, your father sacrificed himself to their torture so that you and your mother might survive." Abhainn stopped. Spade's mouth was agape at the story, but she wanted to hear the rest of it so she put a hand on the shoulder of the fae in front of her in comfort and nodded for her to continue.
"Your mother was going into labor about three days after your due date. Your father pleaded to see you and be there for his wife but they-" she stopped and swallowed hard, "the witches blinded him and the kelpies ruined his back. After she sent you away she returned and they were executed in front of the Folk. He was able to hold you though, so I guess that's merciful," Abhainn said with disgust.

Spade opened her mouth but didn't say- couldn't say- anything, she only tasted salty tears that poured from her mix- matched eyes. She slowly wiped them away from her cheek, no longer surprised to see shimmering blue liquid that were her tears. "Wha-" she took a breath as Abhainn looked up at her with her stoic face, "what do I need to do?" Spade demanded.

The orange/green haired girl sat up straight to attention, almost as if she were about to receive a verse. "If you're alive, return home. If you can, stay alive, ascend to the throne. End this war," Abhainn said.

Suddenly everything Spade saw shifted. She was in her mind again but saw that time on the outside seemed to have paused; that gave her time to crumple down and let what ever emotions she was holding back run wild in her veins. Anger. Confusion. Grief. Fear. ...Hope. It was a flicker of gold and violet light that grew brighter. She thought of her joy and friendship with Natasha, the way Abhainn was like a little sister, fun cousin, and a mentor at the same time. Sister. She thought of her "brother", Spade already knew that he would be trying to mask his worry: he still cared for her and so did she. New emotions coursed through her: confidence, faith, pride, strength. She smiled to herself and blinked, entering back into the world in front of her.

"Well, let's get shit done." She leaned forward to Abhainn who already had a smile creeping on her face. "Train me," Spade said.

Songs Used
-Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) from the Hamilton musical
-Stay Alive from the Hamilton musical