Chapter 5

Assembled in one of Phoenix's conference rooms, a feed running up on the wall tv detailing Mac's now no longer mysterious female rescuer.

Photographs, a small amount of newspaper clippings, yearbook photos, and old social services case files, medical files, everything.

The screen was split, partly showing the view from Riley's computer as she ran a program to search the security footage from every area in the city, but it wasn't coming up with very much at all yet.

"Lilly Ann Bennett. Born December 12, 1990. Five foot eight, brown eyes,  brown hair. Grew up in the foster system after her adoptive parents passed away in a car accident at age five, whereabouts of birth parents....unknown.

Graduated from Alba High School with honors in two thousand seven at age seventeen. Attended USC Thorton School of Music for two semesters on a full ride scholarship, but dropped out due to unknown reasons. Is currently on anti-seizure medication. Was formerly also on anti-psychotic medication.
Lives in Sandy Pines apartment Complexes, and works full time at Cora's Flower Boutique."

Jack shook his head. "I don't understand why you're so worried about this Matty. Other than a depressing background and the possibility of being slightly odd in the head, she seems perfectly clear."

"I'm not worried about ulterior motives here Jack

"I'm not worried about ulterior motives here Jack. Even if she knows nothing, there's a chance Murdoc has set a target on her back now. The sooner we get to this girl the better, and find out what she does know. We can't risk that."

Mac was playing with a paperclip, deep in thought.
"I doubt she knows very much. I mean, from what I can remember, she was terrified, but....held it together long enough to get us out of there."

"How do you explain the fact that this girl───"

"She has a name Boz," he interrupted, making his best friend groan.

"Okay, how do you explain the fact that this Lilly knew exactly what antidote you needed for the drug Murdoc gave you? How do we know that she ain't working for Murdoc, hm? Maybe she was trying to gain our trust by rescuing you?"

Riley looked up from her laptop. "Um...he does kind of have a point there Mac."

Shifting in his seat, a troubled look brewed in his eyes.
"Well, we can't know for sure until we find her," Mac commented finally, expression distant.

Suddenly interrupted the semi-tense silence, Riley's brows furrowed.
"Uh, it looks like there was an incident at a bank on West and 39th....she has a warrant out for her arrest?"

Typing a few keys, in a few minutes she had full access to the bank's security system. In a few more seconds, footage of the lobby popped up on the tv in front of them, but no audio.

They watched as the girl, as Lilly walked into the building out of the rain outside.
Freezing for a moment, she turned, appearing to say something,  a response to the woman behind the counter.

Entering through the doors a few moments later was a man wearing a dark sweatshirt, hood up.

Out of the blue she swung her shoulder bag into his face, and when he stumbled back, she kneed him in between the legs, then finished the man off with a solid punch to the jaw.

Everyone in the room seemed to wince as he collapsed backwards, hitting his head on the hard floor.
Then Lilly's hand dove into the man's left coat pocket, pulling out a gun.

Jack raised an eyebrow.
"What in the blue hill....."

They watched her point it at the semi-conscious body, then the security guards came into frame.
They said something to her, and she dropped the gun, but the guards still had their theirs pointed at her.
Obviously becoming scared, and it was no surprise to most of them when she stopped backing up and turned, bolting out of the building.

Bozer raised an eyebrow.

"Well that was certainly unexpected," Riley hummed, typing a few more keys. If possible her eyebrows rose even higher.
"And.....check this out. The guy she beaned....was wanted for assault and robbery in three different counties, and is a suspect in a murder case."

"Well, that certainly changes things..." Pursing her lips together,  Matty appeared thoughtful.
"But that just makes this all the more imperative that we locate her as quickly as possible."

"Her records were completely clean, but how was she able to immediately pin down a guy the police were trying to catch for...." Jack squinted at Riley's computer screen,
"Two months? Something seems really fishy here."

"We will focus on that issue when we have her in custody. Right now I want the facial recognition expanded through every security camera we can get access to in the county, and I want the police report from the bank incident."

"Already on it," Riley answered back just as quickly, eyes riveted to her laptop.
It only took a moment before she landed a hit.

"Got her. She's at Le Sing's Mandarin House on the corner of Riviera and Park."

EDITED: 9/6/22

Dun dun dun! What do you think's gonna happen next?😉

And as always, please do vote, and comment on your favorite part of the chapter!😁😊