Chapter 6

Le Sing's Mandarin House was only a thirty minute drive from Phoenix headquarters, and soon enough they were there, parked across the street.

Immediately Riley got set to working on getting access to the few security cameras inside the restaurant, and Bozer was getting ready to go in disguised as a waiter.

"Mac? You okay there?" Jack's concerned voice broke him out of his thoughts, making him realize just how tight his hands had been gripping the steering wheel. He flexed his fingers.

"Maybe.....maybe we shouldn't do this. Maybe we should just.....keep an eye on her from a distance."

"Hey, man, I hear you, I really do, but you heard what Matty said. Even if she has no idea what's really going on, this girl probably has Murdoc on her tail now. She'll be safest if we have her at Phoenix."

Letting out a pleased ha,
Riley placing her computer on the console between them. On it, the screen showed a steady stream of feed from the cameras.

She tapped a couple keys, zooming in.

There she was, sitting at a corner table alternating between taking sips from a mug, and either writing or sketching something on a small notepad, dark hair covering her face.

"Okay, I'll────" Mac began to get out of his seat, but was interrupted by Jack.
"No, she knows what you look like. There's a chance she could run if she sees you."

He huffed, but Jack was backed up by a sheepish looking Bozer.
"He's right Mac. After all, she did disappear after helping you out of the sewers, so she might think she's in trouble. Which she is, technically, but──"

"Bozer, shut up. You're not helping." Riley snapped her gum, recieving a dirty look.

"Okay, Bozer will go in through the back, I'll head in through the───"

"Uh, guys....." her eyebrows suddenly shot upwards.

At that moment, Lilly had tipped her head, and was looking directly up at the camera. Right at them.

"Whoa wait a second, she's looking right at us." Bozer said, starting to get a little freaked out. "Its like she can hear us."

"Okay pancho, easy. Riley, you stay in here so we can have some eyes to keep us in the right direction, Jack, Bozer, and I will head in instead," Mac instructed, swiftly unbuckling himself, Jack doing the same.

"What are you going to do?!"

"Same as always. Improvise."

──────*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*──────

"Okay, Riley will go in through the back, I'll head in through the────"
A man. Dark, spiked short hair. Stubble.

This was new.

"Uh, guys....." A girl at a computer, light bronzed skin, black hair that was kept pulled back in dark tangles.

Lilly stood, no longer looking at the camera, sticking her sketchpad in her bag, tossing some crumpled bills on the table.
Walking fast, but not so fast as to draw attention, she briefly stopped near the kitchen doors, setting her watch.

The doors to the kitchen swung open a busboy rumbling out with a cart.
Slipped inside, she was hardly noticed.

Hardly.

Speaking sharply in Cantonese an older Chinese woman approached her, graying hair up in a bun, face set in a disapproving frown.
"Customers are not allowed in the kitchens."

She put on her most vulnerable face, glancing back,  nervous they could walk through the doors at any second.

"Please let me through, its kind of an emergency."

The woman's face changed to one of concern, and surprise.
Putting a hand on her arm, she asked softly if Lilly was in some kind of trouble, if she needed to call the police.

Police was the last thing she needed right now, and something in her expression seemed to answer both questions for the woman, who directed Lilly to a door to the back alley.

O

nce outside, she studied the alleyway between the restaurant, and.....a gigantic department building.
Bingo.

Cursed, a hand to her head.
"She's gone out the back. Try and circle around." Blonde hair, blue gray eyes. It was Macgyver, from before.
But why was he here?

"Are we gonna need backup for this?"
Someone different, another male, darker complexion, African-American probably.

"No, she's one girl. How hard could it be?" Computer girl scoffed.

Lilly smiled.

EDITED: 9/6/22

Thoughts on the chapter?
Please do vote, and share on your favorite part!😉