Mas Adelante - Chapter Two

"Lolita." Oscar knocked on the door twice, jiggling the knob. "Foods ready."

When he didn't get a response he knocked again, "Lola!" He knocked harder this time, trying to push the door open, it was locked.

Cesar stood from the couch, walking up behind Oscar.

"She better be in there." He growled, knocking on the door again. "Don't make me kick your door in."

He waited a few seconds, his patience slimming down until it was gone. He took a step back then let his foot fly into the door, it swung open.

The first thing he noticed was the empty room, the second being the open window. He cursed, running his hand down his face. "She's dead."

Cesar stood with his arms crossed, "I'll text officer Hammel, he'll find her if she's wandering the streets."

Oscar nodded, "she's losing her door. I've had enough of her shit."

He walked into the kitchen, opening the junk drawer and pulled a screw driver out.

He removed it impatiently, then carried it to the back yard where he broke it into two pieces with a few stomps.

Then the Diaz brothers sat on the concrete steps, waiting for their little sister to arrive with Officer Hammel.

"She's here." Cesar mumbled, shaking his head.

Oscar blew the smoke from his mouth, scowling at the teenage girl.

"Stay out of trouble Diaz." Officer Hammel said, nodding at Cesar before he drove off.

She walked up slowly, standing in front of Oscar and Cesar.

"Where were you?" Cesar asked, taking the first question since he was the nicer one and didn't want Oscar to lose his temper on her in front of the homies.

"I went to my friends house, down the street." She pointed, then let her hand fall back to her side with a grin on her face.

"Why did you sneak out if it was just your friends house?" Oscar flicked the bud onto the ground, standing up. "I've never prohibited you to do anything so why the hell go behind my back?"

"First of all," she set her hand flat on his chest, pushing him back.

"Are you touching me?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'm not a kid." She shook her head, "I don't have to tell you when I want to go somewhere."

Oscar glanced at Cesar who raised his eyebrows and scratched his head. This wasn't going to end well for her.

Oscar shoved her hand off of him. "What bills you pay to look me in my face and tell me you're not a kid no more? Huh?" He took a step toward her, causing her to take a step back. "You are a kid." He nodded, "until you pay your own damn water bill, and you can keep the lights on in this mother fucker you are a god damn kid, you understand me?"

She rolled her eyes, scoffing.

"Roll your eyes at me again, ima smack the shit out of you and they goin' get stuck there." He threatened, "aver si así puedes andar de puta y ofrecida."

Cesar took a step forward, it was getting heated and their homeboys were starting to listen. "Okay I think that's enough for tonight."

Lola shook her head. "Nah I want to hear what Oscar has to say to me. Because apparently it's a lot."

Oscar squinted his eyes at her, tilting his head to the side. "See. You don't get what you want and you start acting out?"

"Acting out?" She laughed, "you haven't seen me 'act out' yet, Oscar."

"Go to your room." Oscar shook his head, "don't come out till I say you can."

"Oh so now you think you're my father?"

"As long as I keep the food in that ungrateful ass mouth of yours, I am your father." He nodded, "now get the hell out my face."

"You know what?" She scoffed, mocking him. He lifted his chin, testing her. "I'm out, fool." She shrugged, taking a few steps back. "If I woulda known having you as my guardian was gonna be like this I would've told CPS you were abusing me. Maybe I'd be back in the system again."

All of the homies' jaws dropped, and Oscar's posture changed, he was livid.

She started to walk away and Oscar went after her. Cesar held him back though, unsure of what would've happen if he had gotten to her.

Cesar sighed, "just relax, she'll most likely stay with Monse, you guys can talk in the morning."

But she didn't, she walked right pass Monse's house, taking a left turn.

She found herself knocking on a door, unsure as to why she was knocking on this specific door when she could've easily stayed the night at her boyfriends house.

"Lola?" Ruby furrowed his eyebrows, "what are you doing here?"

"Oscar kicked me out." She half lied, "can I crash here?"

"Uh.." he looked inside, then back at her. "Sure, that shouldn't be a problem."

"Thanks." She smiled, stepping into his house.

She hadn't been there in a while, she use to hang out with the core four all the time. Until she started seeing Angelo, she'd much rather hang out with him then her brother and his friends.

"You can stay in my room." He pointed at his door, "Mario's at his girlfriends house so I'll sleep in his bed, you can sleep in mine."

She followed him, standing awkwardly at the door when he walked into his bedroom.

"What?" He grabbed a pillow, moving it to the other bed, "are you uncomfortable with me sleeping in here? Cause I can sleep on the couch."

"No, no." She shook her head, laughing softly. "I don't mind, thank you for letting me stay."

He smiled, shrugging a shoulder. "What are friends for?"

She sat on his bed, and he handed her a blanket. "So why did Spooky kick you out?"

She groaned, "he's such a little diva."

Ruby laughed, "Spooky's a lot of things, I don't know about a diva."

"Do you smoke?" She pulled a blunt from her pocket, "I think it's the only way I can get through this conversation without going insane."